Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing fabric, jumping the gun, and color question.... >

backing fabric, jumping the gun, and color question....

backing fabric, jumping the gun, and color question....

Old 11-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Post backing fabric, jumping the gun, and color question....

I was going to join VQW since I am trying to finish my blocks this weekend - and then thought I'd make a new post, seeking advice. I am a new quilter - this quilt top will be my first one - traditional Tumbling Blocks. I am posting the pics first, close up of blocks, and then the circle arrangement I think I will use -- it's got a lot of blocks to go, but you can see from the center how the rest will end up.

Questions:
1---since it is Black Friday, Small Biz Saturday, (Sacred Sunday), and Cyber Monday this week, wouldn't it be a good time to order backing fabric - as in, frugal, best price etc.?

2---even if I'm not finished with the top? am I jumping the gun since it's not fully assembled yet? Should I wait to finish my quilt and then think about it?

3---Since it is THE blandest, most unexciting quilt ever made, I've been describing it as 'restful' since the fabrics are so boring (I wanted to use fabric I had) & one fabric even looks like hospital gown stuff...anyway, question is, should I make an excitingly colored back, or should I make it bland and sleepy like the front? I don't want the recipient (whoever he/she ends up being) to hate the front and only use the back or 'pretty' side...so should I pick an equally bland fabric? I'm afraid it will look stupid if the back is so much more attractive than the front. I saw some pretty darn colorful backing fabrics!

I don't want to be jinxing its completion, I'm a slow worker. Thanks for looking and your always great input everyone.
Attached Thumbnails 20161111_124139.jpg   20161111_123929.jpg  

Last edited by K-Roll; 11-25-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:36 PM

I do not see it as bland or boring because the pattern is beautiful. Not sure if the colors are accurate in your picture as it actually is but I like it. As to a backing, I would probably wait, but that's just me. Keep up the good work it is going to turn out lovely.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

If you know the size of the finished quilt, I would sure take advantage of the sales. Can't help with the wild vs. mild choice on color & print. That is really a personal choice. I wouldn't worry about the recipient using the 'wrong' side, they still will be wrapped in love!
Old 11-25-2016, 03:50 PM

Most of what you ask is just a matter of personal opinion. So, here's mine, lol.
1. I think your quilt top is pretty. Understated, yes, but that makes it more elegant.
2. Quilt shops and on-line stores will continue to have sales, so you don't need to be in a hurry to buy your backing fabric. Just when ever you get the fancy. More a matter of finding what you want, then buying it. At least that's my M.O.
3. I would go for some contrast, but not shocking contrast. An all over print will hide any quilting flubs, if you use a thread color that blends in. Or if you have enough of the fabrics you are using in the top, you could use them for the backing. Just cut panels of each fabric and sew together. Or use one of the fabrics with a middle band of another color. It's a fun surprise for the quilt recipient.
4. Don't sell yourself short, and don't "dis" yourself when showing your quilt to others. You are doing a great job. One of the lessons we might hope to learn is to make use of what we have. You are learning that.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:55 PM

I like the quilt. Probably would go with a deeper blue than you have on the front if you want more color definitely take advantage of the sales now
Old 11-25-2016, 04:01 PM

And you are a new quilter?? Oh my word! I still haven't attempted that pattern and I have been quilting for years! Honey, you are doing a fabulous job and I am totally impressed with your top. I love your colours because they are gentle and soothing. If you have found a backing you like, at a price you like, go ahead and get it now. Yes there will always be more sales--thank goodness!! The best thing about quilting is that our quilts can be as bland or as crazy as we want and it is nobody's business but ours. Hallelujah!!
Old 11-25-2016, 04:10 PM

It is a beautiful quilt!
Old 11-25-2016, 04:25 PM

It's a beautiful quilt. Soft and soothing. Well done piecing. If you are still not satisfied when you are done, you could make another quilt and use this as the backing. Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:49 PM

!!! Thank you everyone...
Marilynr, the colors are about right, they don't get any better with better lighting!
paperprincess, love 'wild vs mild'
gardengnome, I was only dissing the fabric - I like your word too: 'understated'
cj & gingerk, good counsel. yes, first quilt, and am so relieved the pattern is actually turning out - I have a great teacher in my quilting class.
NZ & Jane, thank you, and food for thought. I'll keep looking at the backing fabric...and thinking. I've got one more piece to attach to the rest of the blocks, before I piece them all together. Seam ripper by my side, and I've used it!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It's a really nice quilt for a first attempt; you're starting off well!
Are you going to quilt this "quiet" quilt on your own sewing machine? If so, I might suggest a "busy" backing fabric -- doesn't have to be "wild" just somewhat contrasting and printed -- as that will help hide any mistakes or less than perfect stitches (Who makes PERFECT stitches, anyway???).
And if you wanted to, you could piece your backing with different fabrics and virtually make this a two-sided quilt, examples of some piecing ideas below.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails pieced-backings.jpg