Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backing fabric >

backing fabric

backing fabric

Old 10-31-2014, 10:13 AM

tough question because I have both pieced backs and used backing fabric. It depends on the quilt I'm making, and, sometimes, whether I feel like spending $ on backing, sometimes because I feel compelled to use my stash. On occasion, fabric has "spoken" to me and inspired a pieced back, other times it's pieced because i cut the backing fabric wrong.

For inexpensive backing, go to Marshall Dry Goods. You can get nice backing for $7.99 a yard. I've tried it and the fabrics are good, at least the ones i bought were.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM

I usually get kona solids when they are on sale 50% at Joannes (or I have a 50% off coupon). I have also used the wide backings. Depends ont eh project..
Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM

I like my back to coordinate with the front and match the binding. The more quilts I make the more I prefer everything to look integrated. Ideally I have a bit of the backing and binding fabric incorporated in the front.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:12 PM

I might be a little out of date but my preferred backing is a muslin white backing for everything but baby and kid quilts. I also do not like a lot of puff in my quilting. I say that my "style" is more traditional or retro.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM

It has been very interesting reading what every one does I rarely have used the wider backing, but I think I will start doing that more. Knowing that Hobby Lobby has a nice selection will make it easier. That store opens half an hour earlier than Hancocks and an hour earlier than the local quilt store. That makes a difference to me. I like to shop before most folks are out.

Dina
Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Has anyone else noticed that some backing fabric is thinner and of lesser quality than regular quilting fabric? Sometimes it even differs within color/ patterns of same brand. iMHO
Old 10-31-2014, 04:50 PM

But only muslin comes in wide widths, right? Along with fleece and utility fabrics, of course. So are you talking about plain muslin, or is there wide fabric that's got a print on it?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:32 PM

I tend to use what I have which may include older yardage that I have to piece, left overs from the quilt or new cotton sheets (I have a small hoard that I`ve collected over several years, all less than $10 a sheet). They all quilt equally well on my Juki and the ones I send to my LA èr have collected no complaints either. I would hate to go out and just buy yardage as most quilting fabric in my part of Southern Ontario is $15 a metre and the wide backings run between $15-$24 a metre which makes a backing for a King sized quilt expensive.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 PM

It is really up to you and what you prefer. I guess it depends on who it is for, if you are going to sell it, etc. I do all 3 methods mentioned. Pieced, wide backing but mostly for the larger quilts, I use a 90 wide muslin, that I order from Jo Ann's, it is Legacy Studio and sells for about 8/9 dollars a yd. I really like this muslin.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
But only muslin comes in wide widths, right? Along with fleece and utility fabrics, of course. So are you talking about plain muslin, or is there wide fabric that's got a print on it?
No, there are other widebacks--flannel, sateen and other cottons. When long arming I prefer a wideback as you don't worry about front/back seams causing a bump in the machine tracking. Plus the wideback, once squared, stays that way on the frame and lays smoothly. And the cost is about the same, or even less, than using LQS fabrics pieced.
As with ALL backings, widebacks need to be squared up before quilting. And some, especially the thinner muslins or flannels, should be washed before use due to shrinkage. One complaint with piecing backs I've run into, is that it seems that quilters sometimes piece together a "hodge-podge" of left over fabrics--many these are not squared up and sometimes have the cross and long straight of grain mixed, so that the stretch that occurs while on the long arm (or even under the DMS foot) can leave pucker possibilities. The only backs that I've had pucker/tuck problems with have been pieced with these issues. So if you are going to piece chunks of fabric together, I'd suggest that you be sure to square the pieces as you cut, to seam with the grain matching (cross OR length-wise) and remember that your backing acts like the foundation on a building--if it's not "solid" the top will be distorted.