Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backing Fabric

Backing Fabric

I prefer the wide fabrics for backing but they are not always available. When you stitch regular width fabric together for backs do you make your seams lengthwise or crosswise? Thank you
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

Blog Entries
    I've done it both ways. It depends on the size of the quilt and how much fabric I have. I just try to put the seams so they're not exactly in the middle.

For smaller quilts, I frequently use the John Flynn technique and make a diagonal quilt back (it doesn't create the bulk where the back seams happen to be in the same place as the seams of the top). Here is a link to a site that has the calculator for fabric and some diagrams to follow:
    http://www.multi-patch.com/html/diag...calculator.php

For larger quilts (since 63" is the widest you can make from 43" fabric), I either use the wide fabric or I piece the back randomly (think large blocks and wide sashing).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

If I have 45 inch for the back I cut the length I need and then figure how wide i need the back.I split the 45 in half and that would be 22 1/2 inches which it i sew on to the 45 inch I now have 66 width. If I still need it wider I could add 221/2 to the other side of the 45 and now we have 87 and 1/2 in width for the quilt. The would give you 44 inch and 22inch sewen on each side. Two seams.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Either wy, depending on whether I'm making the backing from scraps or from two pieces of the same fabric.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    My method or direction of seam would depend on the backing fabric. Which way would it look best eg directional pattern.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    If you are having your quilt longarm quilted horizontal seams are best, they lay straight along the take up bar, when vertical they build up turn after turn causing a lot of bulk in the center and floppy edges. If quilting by hand or with your domestic machine they can go either direction.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I cut the length I need, then cut it again lengthwise, not in the center, off center. I then add a vertical stripe of either leftover blocks or coordinating fabric. It provides interest and makes the seam look like it was meant to be.

I use this method when I don't have wide backing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have done it both ways and frequently piece my backs with some leftover blocks or designs with leftover front fabrics to add interest to the back. My long arm quilter says it doesn't matter to her.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

I always do crosswise

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    If you are having your quilt longarm quilted horizontal seams are best, they lay straight along the take up bar, when vertical they build up turn after turn causing a lot of bulk in the center and floppy edges. If quilting by hand or with your domestic machine they can go either direction.
    This is absolutely true, but when the seams are vertical the quilt can usually be mounted sideways on the longarm, making the seams horizontal.

It depends on what's the best way to use the fabric I have.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

The least amount of seam but I prefer to have seams run lengthwise on the long arm machine so I will load according if possible.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I do like Jeanne does and my LAQer told me it was no problem. I love to use up the left over fabric this way and I love the backs with that bit of interest.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I used to put to lengths together making the seam down the middle but that caused a lump when advancing. Then I read that I should put my seams across as that would alleviate the lump so since then that's what I've been doing. Of course I'd rather use backing fabric and alleviate the seam altogether but as mentioned before sometimes you just can't find the perfect backing. Haven't tried the John Flynn method yet.

Also when I do have to put 2 pieces together I glue the seams open so they don't flip on me while advancing. I use Elmer's Glue so it will wash out later. Love Elmer's Glue.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If the quilt will be long armed, the quilter will load it so seamed horizontal, but the key thing to keep in mind is that if you are piecing a back (or even with wideback) it's important that the back is squared up as it's the foundation of the quilt and especially with long arm quilting, an off square back will create all sorts of tuck problems.

I've done it both ways, but then I always FMQ my quilts on my domestic sewing machine so it really doesn't matter to me. I also usually use a couple of different fabrics or leftover pieced blocks in between the pieces if I'm going to seam the back--makes the quilt more interesting.

Rob

Some quilting teachers recommend using the full width of the fabric down the center and then splitting the other piece of fabric into 2 equal vertical pieces. That way, there is no center seam to contend with.

I always piece my crossways or horizontal to the top of the quilt. I read somewhere that they hold better that way and that long armers prefer it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I try not to have a seam in the fold, whichever direction I go.