Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For backing, have you ever used..... >

For backing, have you ever used.....

For backing, have you ever used.....

Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 PM

I've used the throws, blankets, fleece and minkee on the backs of quilts and I love it! I spray baste then do some pinning. I haven't had any problems and really like how cuddly they are. My only problem has been the lint but I can live with that.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I have used fleece with no problems, and it saves having to use any backing.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks, everyone! I've used fleece without any problems before (works wonderful on pet quilts). And, minky purchased from LQS's has worked fine for very nice quilts. Today, I bought some 'sale' throws to use for backing....hoping to save some money in the process! I bought 3 different 'textures' of minky-type throws to find out which type will work best. With the price of fabrics so high, I thought this might provide a nice price break for a few projects.
It'll be a experiment. I may find a quilt-as-you-go project is the preferred style for something that is problematic but the backing will be nice and soft!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Would it help to use the spray basting?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Just finished a quilt for my newest granddaughter and used some minky type backing that I purchased at JoAnn's. I also frequently use fleece. Love both. Just be sure to use less tension on the backing, so as not to stretch it. I would think that the purchased throws would work the same. Keep thinking I'll try them.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 AM

I like to use pre-washed flannel for the back of my quilts that will be used to cozy up in front of the TV or to cozy up in to read a book.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:22 AM

I haven't but a friend of mine did. She recommended 1/2 inch seams instead of 1/4 and lots and lots of pinning. She loved the end result.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:46 AM

I have been thinking of using one of these cuddly throws for a backing, now with all this help I think I will.

Thanks Mary Jane for saying use 1/2" seams instead of 1/4". I can understand why, but I probably wouldn't have done that if I hadn't read this. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 AM

Yes, I use fuzzy backings of one kine or another on children's quilts. It is a challange keeping them smooth, more or less. Along with being warm they are nonslip.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:29 AM

I have used fleece on many quilts and have not had a problem. When I have to piece it I use the 1/2 inch seam also. I do pin alot but never had a problem with the back puckering. Never used minki as I heard it is hard to work with.