Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For backing, have you ever used..... >

For backing, have you ever used.....

For backing, have you ever used.....

Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 AM

I am just finishing a quilt with fleece backing. I used quilt as you go method and think its turning out well considering its my first fleece backed quilt. Its great not to have to use batting and I haven't had a problem with it stretching. My only problem is the person I'm making it for chose black fleece and it picks up so much dog hair and lint. I'll know better next to mention this to anyone who wants one
Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 AM

I use fleece all the time, but the ones you buy already made into throws can be very thin and stretchy if you are not careful in selecting them. They are frequently available at the thrift stores in all qualities for very reasonable prices.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
....The plush throws or minky-type throws sold in dept stores that might be used for quilt backing instead of quilting cotton or flannel? These are so cheap compared to $10+ a yard! Quilting with these types of backings, what kinds of problems have you encountered and worked through?
I bought some gorgeous butterscotch-colored, paisley embossed minkee on sale from Fabric.com sometime ago. My LAQ lady who is fabulous at doing everything did an incredible job with it. The lap quilt was a gift and I made sure the receiver wanted "something fuzzy" on the back before I risked the money and the LAQ temperment!! Also made sure my LAQ really "wanted" to mess with it and back the quilt with it and she assured me she'd had success in the past. It turned out SO gorgeous, if I could afford it I'd put everything on minkee. Some of the suggestions here about doing it in small pieces "quilt as you go" sound interesting. I've had great success with the spray on glue (not really glue but I can't remember the name of it) when I FMQ a queen quilt on my machine. I could imagine that using the basting spray with minkee on small pieces that you QAYG would work just fine. Only problem would be the bulk at the seams...... what to do about that??
Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 AM

I've used both Minkee and Fleece as backing and quilted with the LAM. No problem for me. I love the soft backing. I don't use batting with the Minkee or Fleece.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM

I have always used flannel for backing, for extra warmth, plus it keeps the quilt from sliding off the bed. Recently I had one quilted with a fleece backing, I do not really like the way it turned out, I think there were problems with them keeping it from bunching up.

So, I will probably stick to cotton backing or flannel.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 AM

I used fleece as a backing a few years ago when I was using my short arm home machine. I used no batting and the quilting (SID) turned out very nice.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM

I finished a baby quilt for a friend and this is what they brought me. I pinned it very well and only did some stitch in the ditch. It turned out okay, not my choice, but it was okay.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM

I have tried all of the above. Real Minkee is the best, with purchased "cheap" throws being the worst (because they are woven looser, therefore they stretch badly). The secrets I've found are basting spray, pinning the daylights out of it, and a walking foot. Good luck. Just jump in and try some of these things. You will never conquer any task if you don't try
Old 11-26-2011, 12:41 PM

I don't think these would work because they are not 100% cotton,
when washed they will shrink differently.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
I don't think these would work because they are not 100% cotton,
when washed they will shrink differently.
Yes, that's another question I have....I think the throws in dept stores are polyester. What characteristics will polyester have if it's washed? I expect stretching to some extent. Is there any way to avoid that?