Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Backing Help Please!! >

Backing Help Please!!

Backing Help Please!!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM

I'm giving you a link:
http://quilting.about.com/od/finishi...lt_backing.htm

This is about.com Finishing your Quilt Quilt Backing.
I think this site is Wonderful for simple directions; it is quicker than buying a book at this time. If you want to buy a book, check out the Rodale series, at amazon.com for used books. Rodale is wonderfully illustrated. Gives you all the instructions, spells out all the terms...
Here are my own personal Best Tips:
1) Machine stitch your Quilt Top around all edges, within the quarter inch seam line. This prevents stretching, and you can better control flatness of pieced edges at the seamlines.
2) Fold your Backing into Half, then into Quarters, and use your Hot Iron to press in Perfect Crease Lines, so you know Exactly where the MIDDLE falls, in both directions, horizontal and vertical. Much better than chalk marks.
3) On your Quilt Top, Mark your Middle Points with 4 pins, (Top Center, Bottom Center, Left, and Right) which you will match up with the Perfect Crease Lines on the Quilt Back.
4) Ask for Help. Have a confident friend work from the other side of your 3 layers, and with both hands, smoothe, smoothe, smoothe your entire quilt working from center to sides, center to top and bottom, to ease out any extra batting or wrinkles... You will feel inconsistencies with your hands, one under the 3 layers, other hand on topside.
5) Pin, pin, pin, working from Center to sides.
Best of luck to you, your top is very impressive. It deserves to be finished and used.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you took those 4 yards, cut in half, turned and sewed together, you would have 72"x about 80"...not enough. if you get an extra yard you can piece enough to make the length work with your 90" top. the backing and batting needs to be about 5" larger (all the way around) than the quilt top, this is then trimmed after quilting is complete..so for your quilt you need a backing to measure 76"x100". you can piece your back anyway you want to. some people use a plain back, some make them scrappy , some just sew big blocks of fabric together until its the size you want...you can do it any way you want to reach the desired size

:thumbup:
another option would be to use some leftover blocks/strips or contrasting color from the front between the 2 pieces to do the back. you'd have a horizontal seam if you pieced this way.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Jazzmyn, I also live in Roswell. Do you belong to the Pecos Valley Quilters Guild. You have done a beautiful job on the bargello.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Gorgeous quilt! You did a fabulous job, you must be very proud of it.
I too did a bargello as one of my first projects, they are fun aren't they? Mine still isn't quilted though :-(
I'm a bit scared of attempting a queen size quilt on my little machine so I am practicing on smaller quilts :lol:
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Gorgeous quilt! If you have any scraps, just add them to the back to make it large enough. It doesn't have to be a sophisticated pattern, but it will make the back more distinctive. Make the back 2-3" larger all around if you're quilting it yourself, but if you're taking it to a longarmer check to see what her requirements are (usually about 4" all around). Cut the batting about the same size as the backing.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Please don't feel like you are over thinking the backing. Everyone has gone through this. You can piece your backng either vertically or horizontally. The only thing that I watch out for is that the backing is pieced consistantly one way or the other. The only time I've had a problem is if a section of the back is horizontal and the other section(s) are vertical. Sometimes that can cause a saggy spot in the back. And I usually make the backing and the batting a few inches bigger than the top. The quilting process can cause a little shifting, so the extra backing and batting give a little insurance incase that happens.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Jazzmyn,
Your quilt top is beautiful! I love bargello quilts, just haven't made one yet.
When you get ready for the borders, measure your quilt top through the center; that's the measurement for the border strips. Pin your borders on starting in the center of both the border fabric and the quilt top; ease as needed so that your quilt top will be square when you're done. I sew the top and bottom on first, measure again for the side borders and then sew those on.
I cut my backing fabric 5" larger than the top all around and the batting is cut the same size as the backing.
A wonderful book for beginners is: "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons and Liz Porter. It has lots of great instructions and photos.
sewing happily in Texas,
Sharon W.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

You top is beautiful.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM

You night want to invest in that 'little green book:' "The Quilter's Pocket Reference" book by Peggy Scholley. Pretty much all our LQS' have them at their cutting tables for customer reference. You'll be glad you bought it!

ali
Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 AM

You are a brave one to do such a quilt for your very first attempt at quilting. The colors you chose are a good combo and as for a border, you might just want to keep it a thin black one. As for backing I still struggle with it so I'm not the one to give advise, but you will receive great advise and links to help you. Good luck and hope to see pics soon.