Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Backing Question >
  • Backing Question

• Backing Question

Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Thank you! I'll be hand quilting it so I'll leave at the most 3" all around the sides.

Thank you everyone for your advice and reassurance!
    Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM

Go to John Flynn's site. He has a neat way to make this all work out for you. http://bsue.wordpress.com/2007/03/25...ng-directions/
    Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM

That is pretty slick. I would never have thought about it, but it should work!
    Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
    Go to John Flynn's site. He has a neat way to make this all work out for you. http://bsue.wordpress.com/2007/03/25...ng-directions/
    Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
    Amazing concept! I shall give it a try too.
    Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 AM
    Power Poster

If you have some fabric left from the quilt top, now would be your chance to add some of that in the backing. If you decide to go with that option, you could put it at one end, and use that as a turn back on the bed, or perhaps you could cut what you have in half, horizontally, and add a piano key strip through the middle. (Piano key strip is made of short lengths of all your fabrics, sewn together a la piano keys. Repeat the fabrics for as long as you need the strip to be).
    Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 AM
    Banned

I would take another fabric and split the back in the middle, cross wize, and sew a strip in to make it long enough. Folks will think you are so creative. Or a strip of pieced blocks..... Make it appear to be part of the back.
    Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 AM

I sometimes don't have enough backing material so what I like to do (and it adds interest to the back) is insert another color, pattern, or whatever may coordinate with the front and back. If the backing is too short, I cut towards the bottom, maybe leaving a 12" piece or less depending on how big the quilt is, and add a strip of the coordinating fabric wide enough to make the backing long enough. Just be sure to leave enough at the bottom of the original fabric so you can see the insert. You can do the same thing if the backing material is not wide enough. I posted a D9P in the Pictures section that I recently finished that I inserted a strip of the front D9P fabric to the back because my backing material was not long enough. Modern style quilts are usually pieced like this. There are some great examples of this on Flickr.
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    If you have some fabric left from the quilt top, now would be your chance to add some of that in the backing. If you decide to go with that option, you could put it at one end, and use that as a turn back on the bed, or perhaps you could cut what you have in half, horizontally, and add a piano key strip through the middle. (Piano key strip is made of short lengths of all your fabrics, sewn together a la piano keys. Repeat the fabrics for as long as you need the strip to be).
    I second this one- Incorporate your fabric left over from the top.. Instead of one beautiful quilt it will be like they have two...