Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backing

Backing

When you piece your backing what type of seam do you use? 1/4", 5/8" or flat felled seam? Just curious.

I like the 1/2 to 5/8" seam best, since it's inside the quilt I hadn't thought of the flat felled seam but that is a good idea.
    Charlie DiSante

I hand quilt and wondered if the flat felled seam would be too hard to quilt through.

I use a 1/4 seam and press it open. Some of the blocks already have very thick junctions and if one of those lands on top of the pieced seam in the backing, it may wreak havoc with your quilting stitch. Not fun at all.

Oh, that's so true...hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the replies. Think I'll just do a regular seam.

I use about a 1" seam usually...this because I leave the selvage on until I have stitched the seam...then trim off both selvages at the same time, leaving me about 5/8"" seam to press open. Another thing I do...I use a very small zigzag stitch...you can't really see it's a zigzag stitch...so that small. Adds a bit of "give", insuring there will not be a broken thread in that area 20 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by auntieb38 View Post
    When you piece your backing what type of seam do you use? 1/4", 5/8" or flat felled seam? Just curious.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

I use a standard 1/4" seam and press to the side.

Thank you all for the replies. Been so long since I've made a quilt I couldn't remember what I used to do. I've made quilts for all my family and then some but the past few years have taken its toll on my back and haven't had the desire to do anything. But I have 2 grandsons who may be getting married this year and decided to make them new quilts. I have one ready to sandwich and have the other one ready to start sewing together. I'm making each a Double Irish Chain. One in dark and light blue/white and the other green and light green/cream. I only hope my hands hold up. Arthritis is beginning to set in.

Just wanted to add my preference. I usually do at least a 1/2" seam and press it open. This seems to decrease the bulk. I do want to see a pic when you are done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
    I like the 1/2 to 5/8" seam best, since it's inside the quilt I hadn't thought of the flat felled seam but that is a good idea.
    I never thought of the flat felled seam either! Another way to add some detail to the back!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

My Longarmer prefers a 1/2" seam pressed open. I also use a tiny zigzag. I think the zig-zag was recommended by Linda Taylor on one of her videos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msquiltalot View Post
    My Longarmer prefers a 1/2" seam pressed open. I also use a tiny zigzag. I think the zig-zag was recommended by Linda Taylor on one of her videos.
    Never thought of using a small zigzag. . . huh
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

1/4 and press it open.

If you are going to send out your quilt to a LA'er, please don't make a flat-felled seam on the backing....it's way too heavy to sew through and expect everything to stay lined up and pretty....and no, I won't tell you how I know.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I use a 1/2" seam allowance and press open. I am a longarm quilter and that seam is the flattest one that doesn't deflect the needle as much as the 1/4" seam seems to. Pressing to one side creates a lump that goes all across the quilt, deflects the needle and I really hate them! If a customer quilt comes with a backing seam pressed to one side, I have to press the darn thing open so the quilting will nice and there won't be a lump.

I usually use the 1/2" seam and press open. The zigzag seems like an interesting idea.

Lightbulb

As a long arm quilter I'd prefer the 1/2" to 1" seams pressed open. Zig zag would be ok if small enough you can still press open. Also a shorter stitch length is ok if it does not cause puckering of the fabric along the seam. Th critical thing is can you easily press it flat and have it stay that way. If you have difficulty pressing it flat you are likely to get back a quilt with some small folds stitched in.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I use a 1/2" seam.

Usually a 1/2 inch seam works fine for me.
    katigirl