Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad fabric >

Bad fabric

Bad fabric

Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Same thing here with a batch of Hoffman Batiks, but it wasn't Hoffman's fault. The batiks were cut unevenly, had threads running through several of the fat quarters near the selvage. Out of 20 fat quarters only 14 or so are usuable. Emailed the online quilt store and received a reply back stating" I was the first cut on the bolt and she didn't want to waste the fabric, but she could understand my point. I wished them well and will never do business with them again.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM

That has happened to me, especially from one LQS and I won't buy there anymore. One time I had bought fabric for the backing but didn't use it for months and it had grease from the mill rollers along the edges. It was too far to go back and I needed to get the quilt finished so I ended up piecing it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I have to really check fabric purchased from Fabricland (Canadian company similar to Joannes) because they frequently sell flawed fabric and it is supposed to be first quality. When I tried to return flawed yardage the last time, the manager was very difficult and reluctant to replace my flawed fabric (it was big and right in the middle). She thought that I should just cut around it and at $11.99 a metre, I wasn't willing to do that. Now I make them unfold it completely and I check both sides before I let them cut my yardage. This annoys them because it holds up the cutting line but I'm not letting them cut before I check.
Good for you! Stick to your guns!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Our new LQS was giving us 5 or 6" off the uneven end when she opened new bolts, then cutting the yardage. Definitely going back there a lot!
Originally Posted by Gabs
Same thing here with a batch of Hoffman Batiks, but it wasn't Hoffman's fault. The batiks were cut unevenly, had threads running through several of the fat quarters near the selvage. Out of 20 fat quarters only 14 or so are usuable. Emailed the online quilt store and received a reply back stating" I was the first cut on the bolt and she didn't want to waste the fabric, but she could understand my point. I wished them well and will never do business with them again.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Buying fabric is hard work! First you have to find the "right" print, color. Then you have to inspect quality of fabric. Third look for flaws in fabric and lastly watch the cutter like a hawk to make sure they don't short you. Whew! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM

I have bought fabric knowing there was a bad flaw in it -but have not unknowingly.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 PM

I bought a bundle of Fat Quarters that the store had cut and packaged. When I opened them up there were big areas of no print. The fabric was navy blue so I know she saw it when she cut and folded it. It really fried my clams.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM

It has happen to me a couple times. Red hat material from walmart long ago had a big rip in it.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I just realized that problem with some Loralie print as I was organizing my sewing room. Loralie?!? Really?!? Big flaw, right in the middle of the white area... shoulda checked it when I first got it... bummer.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 PM

You know what they say-"The squeaky wheel gets the grease" well the dissatisfied customer needs to stand up for themself. I bought a book and a magazineat Jo-Ann fabric and attempted to return them. Now the magazine was in plastic and I hadn't opened it. I went back and was told they don't take back books or magazines. It wasn't my local store so I went home. The more I thought about it the more I got irritated. I went to my local Jo-Ann and checked my receipts and NO where does it state you cannot return books or magazines. I emailed Jo-Ann headquarters one evening and said I was a perferred customer and was irritated by the no return policy as it is not posted anywhere. The next day I got a phone call from the store manager saying that I should bring in the book and magazine and she would take care of things. Another time I reupholstered my couch. I needed a 90 inch zipper. well I bought the zipper then I had to buy the hardware separate as the zipper was sold by the inch. I paid for but I wrote to the zipper company and received a check covering both the zipper and the hardware. When you are dissatisfied put it in writing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: