Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bags of scraps - what to do with them?

Wow what a haul!!! I'd press them all flat and cut the largest squares possible out of each piece. Or if there are some plains or tone on tones save that for applique pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Here is what I did with a bunch of small scraps. I layered them between two pieces of wash away stabalizer and sewed them all together. I washed away the stabalizer, trimmed and had a big piece of crazy fabric. It adds a lot of texture for tote/purse and other projects. The stabilizer was cheap on the bolt at Walmart. Probably at JoAnns too.
    I would really like to see a picture of your "new' fabric. Any way you could post a picture?
    Mikki

Blog Entries
    How about raw edged piecing ? Just sew the pieces to a base fabric block, I use old sheets for this. When it is washed and dried , it will be "fluffy". Kids would love it , pets too. It feels nice.

I like to cut into strips, sew together, cut into 21\2 strips and use for quilt binding on appropriate quilts.

would work great for paper piecing or for sewing on adding machine paper to make strips. wonderful colors

Check out Bonnie Hunters crumb quilt pictures and instructions:
    http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml

Happy Threadler, a Lady on the QB has made some beautiful mini quilts, another lady has made mug mats, another lady has made postcards and others have made doll quilts and crazy quilts and appliqued quilts. All of them have uses for small pieces of fabric.
    I don't throw out any material since the it can be used for many purposes. Eiltcoq.

Blog Entries
    If big enough, pincushions, crazy quilts, doll quilts, pot holders, sew the scraps together if not big enough, case holders for glasses,phones, etc....

Blog Entries
    My DH cuts all he can into 2 1/2 inch blocks and then the smaller pieces into postage stamp blocks. the trimmings are great for bird nest. Just put them outside. They will find them.

Wow! What beautiful fabric that you have been given. I hope you find something to make with it as you have been given a few good ideas to start with.... or you could just send it to me :lol:

I start sewing the scraps togther anyway possible. LOL!!! Than when I have a huge piece I either cut shapes and put togther scrap quilts. or if its going good and I'm on a roll I end up with one scraaappy piece quilt without cutting shapes.
    I've used bright and pastels and made small quilts for the hospital.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I have a friend who cuts everything in small 2-3 inch squares and uses them as leaders & enders. I think she got the info from Bonnie Hunters website.

Oooooh, now I'm getting excited!! Thank you all for such great advice. I'm really loving the look of the crumb quilts with the bright colors. Would be kinda cool to put thin black sashing between the brightly colored blocks. Maybe some small amish-style blocks on black? Minature quilts? Potholders? Geez, maybe I CAN get some fun color into this neutral home. ;)

WOW! looks like fun ahead

You have a gold mine in them. They will make beautiful scrappie quilts. Saw some strips there that could be sewn together for strip piecing. Please show us the results when finished with one.

Blog Entries
    Go to http://www.susancarlson.com/Welcome.html and look at her "collage quilts" They are to die for! Its all done with little snippets of cloth.

I like to use my scraps that size to make Yo-Yo dolls.

You can send them to me and I will add them to my collection. People give my mom scraps. What she can't/won't use she gives to me after adding her own scraps. Bonnie Hunter has great scrap patterns. All the above suggestions are great. When I have used the larger areas of the scrap I add to my strings on adding machine. Thank you Sue Fish for getting me addicted to that!

I've been using mine for the crumb quilts (WIP) and also for crazy quilt squares using muslin foundation. Great fun when I'm wanting to work on quilting but am too tired do work on anything that requires me to be focused & measure. Main thing is to have fun.

I would use them to make string blocks..I use dryer squares for my backing..cut in 6" squares..

If you don't have projects to use them for you could donate them to the Linus group if you have one in your area. They sew for children's hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    I've got a good friend who has a home business making little round trivets. She's got the COOLEST fabric, and has tons of leftover scraps from cutting out circles (various sizes, but typically I'd say they're around 3-4" and smaller - think about the 'leftovers' after cutting out a circle). I'm wondering if there are any good ideas out there to use these up on projects. She said she hates to throw them out (and, of course, I told her not to!). I'd appeciate any ideas you could throw at me. Like I need even more projects to do! :shock:

Thanks, and hope you all had a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    If you don't have projects to use them for you could donate them to the Linus group if you have one in your area. They sew for children's hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    I've got a good friend who has a home business making little round trivets. She's got the COOLEST fabric, and has tons of leftover scraps from cutting out circles (various sizes, but typically I'd say they're around 3-4" and smaller - think about the 'leftovers' after cutting out a circle). I'm wondering if there are any good ideas out there to use these up on projects. She said she hates to throw them out (and, of course, I told her not to!). I'd appeciate any ideas you could throw at me. Like I need even more projects to do! :shock:

Thanks, and hope you all had a great weekend!
    Unfortunately, we live in a VERY rural area, so I don't know of any Linus groups in this area. And, as quilters, we all know that fabric is HEAVY to mail. Maybe I should start a Linus group, or some type of quilting 'ministry'. Guess I should start making some quilting friends in the 'real world' somehow. The fabrics would be perfect for children, as most of them are brightly-colored and cartoon-ish, although they also do some kitchen-themed types of trivets, too.
    ;)

Now I've got to pull up a "crumb quilt" pattern. Never heard of it. But will also investigate Bonnie's Quiltville. Thanks folks.

Crumb blocks!! Bonnie Hunter's website has lots of scrappy ideas!! www.quiltville.com

I just took a class in It's a Wrap where you use scraps around clothesline to make baskets, purses, trivets, table runners, etc. They are beautiful and the most different colors of fabrics you have the better it looks. From the picture you posted it would be perfect for these scraps. They make great gifts to everyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast