Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Bags of scraps - what to do with them?

I'm so excited because I found my 6.5" square last night, and this great tutorial on the Quiltville site: http://quiltville.com/barbscrumbs.shtml I think with the bigger blocks I can make the lap quilts much faster. The smaller 4.5" square is perfect for coasters, which would be perfect for putting on all of my old sewing machines where hubby & kids continually set down their cups. Anybody know if you bind coasters the same as a quilt?

I think this scrapy/string/crumb quilting will help me to express myself with color and add some fun to my quilting. It is so much fun not to have to worry about following a set pattern, and the whole thing is so liberating. :)

Blog Entries
    You would be surprised how much fun these quilts are to make! I feel great using up the smallest pieces of fabric.
    Quote Originally Posted by joyplace
    Try a crumb quilt............Check out Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville...............Lots of good info there.

Join the 1.5" swap going on!

Ty
    Do you do any applique? I use a lot of very tiny pieces that way. I'm so jealous of your new "stash" of scraps.

Check out some scrap quilt designs. I agree that Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com is an excellant place to start. She is so good at explainign the steps.

do i see strings in there?

I save all my scraps over 1". Some I cut into squares and others are for p/p. I can do anyones BOM without cutting into my stash. I really do like the looks of most scrappy quilts.

Make tiny appilques- Use Wonder Under or Steam 2 small animal shapes, stars,flowers, etc. Iron onto background fabric and do machine zigzag or buttonhole stitch.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Now that I know WHAT I can do with my scraps, I just need to find time time to actually DO it. :thumbup: I am now very excited about all the possibilities.

Spider-web scrappy quilts are really interesting and these would be perfect.

I love the fabrics in the squares. They all scream happy and if I was stuck somewhere sick, I would welcome something happy to cheer me up. I think you have found the right idea.

Wow! Great website! I'm already planning my scrap quilt using one of Bonnie's designs. Thanks for post the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    Quote Originally Posted by joyplace
    Try a crumb quilt............Check out Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville...............Lots of good info there.
    Definately.
    The best tip ever for scraps is to go to Bonnie Hunter's site, what she does with scraps is amazing :thumbup:

This is the link to her site just in case you haven't got it bookmarked: http://quiltville.com/index.html

Blog Entries
    If worse comes to worse, you can donate them to a school for their art department. Art is always the first thing to be cut in a school budget and every little bit helps. The art teachers in my children's school used to love me!

I make mini quilts, anywhere from 2 1/2" to 4" on up. Then from them, Dollquilts, pot holders, pin cushions.and I even put them in picture frames and set on bed side table and hang on the wall. They are fun little gifts ,too.

Found another cute pattern that could be done 'scrappy': http://helenhowestextiles.co.uk/kits...igertiger.html

put them in a pillow case sized piece of fabric and donate them to homeless animals for beds.

darlene

Someone in town makes dog beds for the humane society. She will take all types of scraps. The biggest pieces become the beds, the smaller pieces become the stuffing. Nothing gone to waste. One of the LQS collects scraps for her, so I just drop off bags there. I feel great, and I don't have to force myself to do a crumb quilt :D :D

Art programs in schools are suffering. Donate some to the kids in your community!

You can use everything that is 1 1/2 " and up. Did you ever hear of the postage stamp? You cut postage stamp (plus seam allowance) pieces, and sew them together. Depending on the color or use all mixed colors, it makes a nice quilt. If you get tired of it you can always make a baby blanket.

Send them to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4