Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey Long arm??? >

Bailey Long arm???

Bailey Long arm???

Old 04-18-2010, 03:57 PM

I was just at a quilt show last weekend. One of the vendors had a home long arm (I can't recall the name, but it started with a V), and she said she selected that one because she went to Road to CA and a lot of the home long arm machine reps had a hard time keeping their machines running smoothly, but this one, the guy had 9 machines in 1 room and they were all running smoothly the whole class. So....I just wish I could remember the name. I googled to try to find it, but no luck. Just wanted to tell you....go try a lot of them before you decide on one. Go to a big show where they have lots of them. It's worth the trouble to do that.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Voyager?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I will call first. I am planning on Tuesday. Hopefully Chuck is there.

I am excited! Hubby has this all planned out. Jackie Lynns first she has the HQ16 and the Tin Lizzie then to Baileys.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Oh, man!!
I was reading this thread because I am trying to decide which long arm machine to get for home use, and it QUIT!!

Arrrrgh!

What happened? What did you get???

I'm dyin' to know!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by KarylMc
Oh, man!!
I was reading this thread because I am trying to decide which long arm machine to get for home use, and it QUIT!!

Arrrrgh!

What happened? What did you get???

I'm dyin' to know!
Don't know if you mean me or not, but I did end up getting a 17" Bailey and absolutely love it!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM

I would like to clarify - Bailey home quilters are not long arms. They are considered to be mid-arm machines. There a few limitations but for the most part one can work around them once they learn how to operate the machine and handle the quilts on the frame. Bailey specifies it is a home quilter, made for home quilters. Most long arms are considered to be professional machines. And the price variation is apparent they are not the same.

I have a Bailey 13" and now Bailey is making the 15" and the 17" but still not the length of a long arm.

i have had mine for nearly 3 years and keep it busy.

Do your research before you buy any machine or frame. you will be glad you did.

June in Cincinnati
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 AM

I've been looking at these machines. Do you like your's and do you have any trouble with it? What kind of frame did you get with it? Can you do King size quilts? Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 AM

I love mine, and yes, I do King quilts. I have mine on a Proflex frame.
I love the Bailey and one of the best things is she doesn't need the expensive thread for quilting. I am so happpy I invested in it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM

I imagine this is the machine I'll be getting. Where did you get yours and did they set it up or do you have to? And How hard was it to do if you did? thanks for all the info. Which machine did you get?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 PM

i bought my Bailey 3 years ago at the age of 73. I chose the 13" arm partly because of cost and the possible years of usage I would have. Had I been 40 I would have gone larger, but they were not making the 17" at that time.

You order from the Bailey company and I would assume you have already been there to get information. It is delivered via UPS or FedX and the machine is ready to set on the trolley to sew. On the other hand, Grace company sends the frame. in pieces needing lots of assembly. Because of the price, you cannot expect them to come set it up for you. If you are willing to pay several thousand more, you can get all that service. Some have said it takes about 10 hours to assemble. My husband is handy and did it about 8 hours.

If you have not been to the Bailey site, you are missing part of what you need to know in making a decision to purchase this or any other machine. Do not rely on what others say. Get the facts. It is your responsibility to know!

June in Cincinnati