Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey Long arm??? >

Bailey Long arm???

Bailey Long arm???

Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM

thanks for the info and for being so helpful. When a person sets out to spend that much money, personal input helps alot too. thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by june6995
i bought my Bailey 3 years ago at the age of 73. I chose the 13" arm partly because of cost and the possible years of usage I would have. Had I been 40 I would have gone larger, but they were not making the 17" at that time.

You order from the Bailey company and I would assume you have already been there to get information. It is delivered via UPS or FedX and the machine is ready to set on the trolley to sew. On the other hand, Grace company sends the frame. in pieces needing lots of assembly. Because of the price, you cannot expect them to come set it up for you. If you are willing to pay several thousand more, you can get all that service. Some have said it takes about 10 hours to assemble. My husband is handy and did it about 8 hours.

If you have not been to the Bailey site, you are missing part of what you need to know in making a decision to purchase this or any other machine. Do not rely on what others say. Get the facts. It is your responsibility to know!

June in Cincinnati
so glad to hear from you.I am looking at a used 13 inch bailey tomorrow.I am so happy!!! I am 74 and hope to use it for a long time.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Me too. Would love to hear comments from those on this board that own a Bailey and where you purchased it.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 AM

All new Bailey machines are purchased through the Bailey company. They assemble these mid-arm machines in their shops in N.Y. state. It is a family owned business.

There is a Bailey group on Yahoo run by a QB member, Desertdebbe who also is a sales rep for Bailey (in AZ) and occasionally someone will list a used machine at that board. You might contact her to find out if there is one available at present. They are, I believe, the cheapest home quilter you can buy. Chuck Bailey sells their classroom models so you might want to look into those. Buying from an owner is OK if they are honest about how the machine was used and cared for. Personally, I believe in this case, new is better.

If I can help you further, please feel free to ask.

June in Cincinnati
Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM

I bought mine used and it is fine. I don't believe that new is always better - it depends on the previous owner and the care and usage they gave the machine. I got the frame, machine and stitch regulator for $2200 and it all works wonderfully.

Just do your homework and you'll be fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:46 AM

I have a Bailey 15", bought it used from a QB member. I have used it for 3 1/2 quilts so far and it seems fine. Just keep it clean and oiled and it should work fine. I did replace the hook race, but that is an inexpensive part.