Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baptist fan quilting >

Baptist fan quilting

Baptist fan quilting

Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 PM

Can I jump in with another question here please?

Most of what I have read about quilting suggests starting in the middle of a quilt and working outwards. The baptists fan is something that I'd really like to master but have been worried about starting at one corner incase I end up with wrinkles as I progress up the quilt. I generally spray baste for speed, as almost all of my quilts go to the Linus Project.

What experience have you all had with this? Thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 08:08 AM

I am crazy about this motif and have done it a couple of times using a stencil much the way NZquilter describes in post #7. There is a lot of stopping and starting so be prepared for it to take quite a while. I did not have a a problem with wrinkles like Bobbinalong is worried about. Marking the pattern/stenciling is an absolute must. I think like any pattern the more you do it (muscle memory) the easier it becomes.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=NZquilter;8147177]I did FMQ Baptist Fans on my domestic machine and here is picture on how I did them. I did not tie off after each fan, simply travel stitched up to the next one. I could do an entire row without breaking the threads. I bought a Baptist Fan stencil from Joanns for my guide and to use for marking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]602895[/ATTACH][/QUOTE

i also have this stencil. Do you mark the entire quilt first? Before or after making the sandwich? What do you use to mark? I’m thinking ultra washable crayola markers but testing on scraps first. And where did you start? One row across the middle? On the top?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
Most of what I have read about quilting suggests starting in the middle of a quilt and working outwards. The baptists fan is something that I'd really like to master but have been worried about starting at one corner incase I end up with wrinkles as I progress up the quilt. I generally spray baste for speed, as almost all of my quilts go to the Linus Project.
I just finished a rather large child's quilt (smaller than a twin/larger than a crib) with a Clamshell design, so Baptist Fan simplified I've used the design before as well. I was sort of fussy where the rows went and I have vision issues so I marked the design on parchment paper I get from the dollar store and sew through it, I've done this a lot so am used to it. In something crib sized, I have had no problems working from the bottom to top.

I've been using a long arm for the last couple of years and was seriously out of practice on my little old sewing machine and had a lot of problems that were me problems. I wasn't at all happy with my workmanship, but again -- that was a "me" problem.

But what I found out was that it was much easier going from the bottom to the top than from the top down as I started so I was happy with where the clams would end. Figured it wouldn't matter since it was all marked and safety pinned securely but I was wrong. It was much easier to make the arcs and connect down to the previous rows. I started at the top and did about half, then went from the bottom and the bottom was better but not just from the amount of practice I got.

Picture of that project is towards the bottom on page 3 of this thread:
Virtual Quilting Weekend--10/5-10/8/18

BTW, that top is completed now but not yet given to the recipient. The problems with the thread tension did get a bit better after I washed it so the dark blue from the back doesn't come up to the top quite so much. My stitching is still wonky and I am definitely not going to try to quilt on my old machine ever again!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I also have this stencil. Do you mark the entire quilt first? Before or after making the sandwich? What do you use to mark? I’m thinking ultra washable crayola markers but testing on scraps first. And where did you start? One row across the middle? On the top?
Stitchnripper, I marked the entire quilt, when already sandwiched, with Cayola washable markers. I started in the right-hand lower corner of the quilt and worked my way across and up, row by row. Since I did travel stitch between the fans, I had no stopping and starting for an entire row. I hate breaking thread and restarting, so I was determined not to need to do that! It was pretty quick overall; it was a twin size quilt and I could do a row in about 5-10 minutes from start to finish.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Stitchnripper, I marked the entire quilt, when already sandwiched, with Cayola washable markers. I started in the right-hand lower corner of the quilt and worked my way across and up, row by row. Since I did travel stitch between the fans, I had no stopping and starting for an entire row. I hate breaking thread and restarting, so I was determined not to need to do that! It was pretty quick overall; it was a twin size quilt and I could do a row in about 5-10 minutes from start to finish.
thanks! Very helpful!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM

I just did one last year on my DSM and marked the whole thing with a crayola washable marker tied to a string so no need to buy a stencil or template. I used elmer's glue to baste, and didn't have any issues with shifting. If you nest the rows together, you can just travel along the previously quilted blades.

Later in the thread, I also posted links to examples of how to travel to make the design a continuous line design so you don't have to break thread until the end of the row.

FMQ Baptist Fans on DSM
Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
I just did one last year on my DSM and marked the whole thing with a crayola washable marker tied to a string so no need to buy a stencil or template. I used elmer's glue to baste, and didn't have any issues with shifting. If you nest the rows together, you can just travel along the previously quilted blades.

Later in the thread, I also posted links to examples of how to travel to make the design a continuous line design so you don't have to break thread until the end of the row.

FMQ Baptist Fans on DSM
also great info. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I did FMQ Baptist Fans on my domestic machine and here is picture on how I did them. I did not tie off after each fan, simply travel stitched up to the next one. I could do an entire row without breaking the threads. I bought Baptist Fan stencil from Joanns for my guide and to use for marking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]602895[/ATTACH]
I have been wondering how quilters do this for years. I couldn't be to hard or else quilters would not have used the pattern so frequently. You made it look possible with a template and lots of patience. Thanks for the picture illustrating what needs to be done.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 AM

Thank you to all who responded. The photo showing the path was extremely helpful. Project completed, I am off to another wonderful quilting adventure! It is #4 of 6 blankets for my newest (2nd) great grandson who is due in December 2018.

Grammahunt