Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The bar guide thingy for walking foot help me >

The bar guide thingy for walking foot help me

The bar guide thingy for walking foot help me

Old 01-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Your machine user guide should have a photo of how to attach the quilting bar. It goes in a small hole behind the needle and you tighten the screw down to hold it however far away from the needle you want. Good luck. If all else fails... ask you local quilt shop to help you.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baywatch quilter
Your machine user guide should have a photo of how to attach the quilting bar. It goes in a small hole behind the needle and you tighten the screw down to hold it however far away from the needle you want. Good luck. If all else fails... ask you local quilt shop to help you.
Thanks, I'll go look for a tightening screw. I think it didn't come with the machine so no instructions.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM

I think this is what mine is. It is a slot. I did try it in the slot but it would never stay. I can get it in there. Seems like it will stay, then undone it comes. :) Thought I was doing something wrong. Oh well guess I'll go back to the "eyeball it" trick. I am pretty good at that.

Any ideas to get it to stay (short of epoxy glue) would be GrrrreAt.

My husband just asked me what I wanted to do this weekend. I told him we should go buy me something! Too bad its slow time of year, I'd head right to the Janome dealer and get me a machine with a built in thingy holder fabric pusher ma jig! I am saving for April trip though. *squeal*

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!! I really appreciate it
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Have never used a walking foot.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:51 PM

I just bought a walking foot or darning foot and it has a spring and then in the bottom of the pkg was a little bar with grooves in the middle of it. What do I do with that???
Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM

So now that I know how to attach the bar thing, what do I actually use it for? How would it be used as a guide?? Thanks :)
Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Venice
I just bought a walking foot or darning foot and it has a spring and then in the bottom of the pkg was a little bar with grooves in the middle of it. What do I do with that???
A walking foot and a darning foot are 2 different animals. The walking foot is usually a very large gizmo (since we are using technical terms in this thread) that replaces your regular foot. It has little feed dogs (or grippers) on top of the foot so when your needle goes up and down, the fabric is pulled along from the top by the foot and the bottom from the feed dogs in your machine. This is why it's also called, a dual feed foot. A darning foot is much more variable. I have a viking and there are probably 4 different darning feet that viking offers, plus more from after marketers. Since you mention a spring I'm guessing it's a darning foot, but I would follow the advise of a previous poster and put a picture up to get more specific help, also tell us what type of machine you have.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM

I never could get mine to attach either! Just couldn't figure it out!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Venice
The little bar goes over the top of where the screw for changing your needle is. If it is a darning /FMQ foot. Sounds like it is to me.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
So now that I know how to attach the bar thing, what do I actually use it for? How would it be used as a guide?? Thanks :)

You use it to measure distance between quilting lines. You sew one row of quilting, then attach the bar thing. Run the bar thing over the first line of quilting and your new line of quilting will be exactly the distance you want from the first line. Then run the bar over the second line while sewing the third, etc. It will just keep your quilting lines equal distance apart. Hope that makes sense.