Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all Juki Walking Foot Users -- Seam Guide Help Please? >

Calling all Juki Walking Foot Users -- Seam Guide Help Please?

Calling all Juki Walking Foot Users -- Seam Guide Help Please?

Old 10-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Default Calling all Juki Walking Foot Users -- Seam Guide Help Please?

So I'm trying to get started quilting my big quilt sandwich on my new Juki (TL2000) using 1/2" (+/-) echo straight lines. But I see that's gonna be pretty hard for me, since the walking foot that comes with the machine doesn't have a seam guide option, and I'm not good at eye-balling it! I tried to make do by attaching another guide (from my Janome walking foot), but there's no workable way to attach it to this foot, even if I try to MacGyver it on with tape etc. Does anyone have a workaround?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 AM

You could "mark" your quilt lines with painters tape.

When I am sewing the edge (binding, bags, etc) with a different seam allowance than what is marked on the plate, I put a command strip on the plate where I want. It helps keep me consistent.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:10 AM

Tape is your best bet to mark that small an increment. I did that once and only once. All the turning at the end of the row drove me nuts. But the effect is beautiful. The good thing is tape is available in all widths.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by McGargantuette View Post
So I'm trying to get started quilting my big quilt sandwich on my new Juki (TL2000) using 1/2" (+/-) echo straight lines. But I see that's gonna be pretty hard for me, since the walking foot that comes with the machine doesn't have a seam guide option, and I'm not good at eye-balling it! I tried to make do by attaching another guide (from my Janome walking foot), but there's no workable way to attach it to this foot, even if I try to MacGyver it on with tape etc. Does anyone have a workaround?
It's really too bad that Juki doesn't have a walking foot with seam guide for this machine. I think that's about the only negative thing I have to say about it. I've used the blue painters tape. It's okay.

Interesting to note that on the newer HZL-DX7, the walking foot has the seam guide option. So maybe Juki are learning about what the "domestic" market wants. I exchanged emails with their Customer Service a few months back, and it seems that they are trying to catch up with the rapid expansion of their domestic market. Up until fairly recently, they had been mainly involved in the "industrial" market.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:02 AM

Yes, Patricia. I didn't realize what a problem this is for me until now. I don't know how to FMQ yet, so really need a walking foot/seam guide option (unless I can straight-line quilt without using the walking foot at all???). (katier and toverly, I'd thought about using tape for about 3 econds but know it would be way too tiresome on this 75"x75" quilt!).

I'm hoping juki will offer an add-on seam guide solution soon, but don't know of any reason to think they will.

Does anyone one know if any non-Juki walking foot w/seam guide will work on this machine? I hate to spend the $$ on another foot when this one should be better-designed, but that might be my only option ...
Old 10-05-2016, 05:04 AM

This is the biggest fault of the Juki for me too. I usually eye-ball it, but have used painters tape too.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 AM

I have just jerry-rigged a half-a$&ed semi-solution by taping a really thin knitting needle onto the walking foot, directly underneath the outside right corner. It is more than the 1/2" seam I really want, and I have no idea if it will work. I'll try some practice runs with it this afternoon ...
Old 10-05-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by McGargantuette View Post
(katier and toverly, I'd thought about using tape for about 3 seconds but know it would be way too tiresome on this 75"x75" quilt!).
How tiresome would it be to rip it all out and start over?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:17 AM

Luckily I hadn't started quilting yet when I discovered the problem!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:18 AM

The seam guide that comes with the Brother PQ1500S should work with your Juki. The part number is Seam Guide # XA7256-001. It fits over the presser foot bar screw before you attach the walking foot.