Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargaining Power

Blog Entries
    Stopped by WalMart while in Amarillo yesterday, and told husband I just needed a little bit to work on some purses next week. Well, after we got out of the store, he said, "I thought you said it was only going to be about $12?" (It was $30) I said, "I think you spend that much on beer for a week." That shut him up. About 10 minutes later, he agreed and apologized! See, you just have to know the right words to make them think!

Touche!

Thats funny!! I made a deal with my husband that when I buy fabric - I also get him some fishing lures :) Worked like a charm. He is so happy to get his lures, he does not even notice my Walmart fabric! :)

My dH never says anything about what I spend on this hobby, but I know he got to think it!!! He did make a comment though when he walked through my sewing room a few weeks ago. He said "Well one thing about it, you can't get much more in this room". Sounded like a challenge to me!

Your right about the beer thing!

Everytime DH goes out a golf outting out of town, he feels bad because Im home alone without him (on a Sat. or Sun.), so he knows what makes me happy, and tells me to go hit the LQS! Im just lucky that way! My first DH(which I refer to as my pratice marriage) always had a HUGE FIT when I brought home fabric!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cminor
    Thats funny!! I made a deal with my husband that when I buy fabric - I also get him some fishing lures :) Worked like a charm. He is so happy to get his lures, he does not even notice my Walmart fabric! :)
    I remember your telling us this in other posts too. I liked it then and I like it now. :lol: I think my husband could be dangerous in a fabric store. It is his habit to get two of everything and 3 if he thinks I will like it a lot. I have moved my sewing space into the sunroom where he spends his time with the remote and recliner. He feels more included in my quilting and shows interest from start to finish. He has never minimized my fabric, yarn and craft collections. His toys are far more expensive than mine and he is the first to know it!

LOL, I went to a Model T show yesterday with BF, walked around forever, asked questions, it was fun, but a total GUY thing. So we go into the resturauntand they had a really neat quilting book, so I made him buy it for me!

Sometimes those DH allow their mouths to start up before engaging thier brains. Yesterday mine said, "You're so busy sewing that you're letting the things you're supposed to be doing (laundry) slide. You need to quit messing with that machine." I didn't say anything for a little while. When I was ready to leave to go do the grocery shopping I said, "It took a lot of nerve for you to say what you did about my sewing. The only things I've been working on are things for you, the grandchildren and great grandchildren---nothing for myself. I'm going grocery shopping now. While I'm gone perhaps you could do some work---on your attitude or even the laundry." He was better when I got back. He knows better than to tell me what my "job" is but sometimes he forgets. Bless his heart.

That' so true! My hubby is an avid bow hunter so when the fall comes around, he buys his "toys" and i buy fabric. It works out really well!! :lol:

My DH's weakness is lottery tickets and mine is FABRIC, go figure!! It's a WIN WIN situation for both of us.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is so funny. My Dh woudl never say anything about my fabric load or how much I spend...but reently I have heard a few comments like "Are you ever going to get a paycheck?".( I work part-time at LQS)..."Hmmmmm....is that fabric I see in the back of the car?".....is that what eats your paycheck?....LOL. He is good natured about it...but it gives him something to tease me about.

I quit smoking almost 3 years ago when the price was @$3.85 a pack. I bought two at a time, and I bought packs not cartons. Each day I went to the store and spent more than $10.00. So If you do the math I was spending at least $3,600. a year. DH never complains about what I spend on quilting. Even at my worst, I don't spend as much on quilting as I did on smoking. I don't think he's thought of this, but if he complains I certainly will this to attention. ;P

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I can't do this with DH because he never spends money. He says I buy all that he needs so he doesn't need any more for himself. He doesn't complain when the house is a mess, he says if he don't like it he will clean himself. I'm still waiting for that to happen. I'm the one that can't take the mess. My DH is spoiled

You go girl! lol
    You got him!

Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    My dH never says anything about what I spend on this hobby, but I know he got to think it!!! He did make a comment though when he walked through my sewing room a few weeks ago. He said "Well one thing about it, you can't get much more in this room". Sounded like a challenge to me!

Your right about the beer thing!
    Iv'e heard that one also.I don't let him in my fabric room.

I'm so glad I don't have a DH.

I went with my DH to game stop last month and watched him pay $70 for a game without saying a word.
    On the way to the car, he looked at me and asked "Arent you going to say something about me spending 70 on a game?"
    I just smiled and said "Nope, and neither will you when you notice i spent 150 on fabric".

:D
    worked for me, he didnt say a word :D

Blog Entries
    I am very lucky, my DH never says a word about taking me on shop hops or buying fabric. He has thousands of dollars in tools in the garage and I wouldn't dream of saying anything about the amount of money spent to him. I have even bought tools for him. He never says anything about the house, the meals or laundry, because he knows that he has a choice 1) wait for me to do it, 2)call my sister who is my cleaning lady, 3) do it himself.

My dh is the best! Never says anything about my spending, he doesn't spend much at all, ever! I have to admit I have been spending quite a bit on fabric lately!I need to slow down,I think!

Nicely Done!

My DH says you have a checkbook so use it but then he complains about the money. I remind him he has more money tied up in his antique car than I do in all of my fabric, machines and gadgets, Of course if I lived to be 100 I could never use it all.

So happy to hear that there are other DH's out there like mine. Many times I feel guilty for spending so much money, because he doesn't. He rarely spends money on himself, but he does like fishing gear and I usely buy that for him. He never complains about a messy house and says, "If it bothers me I will clean it up." And he does! He's definately a keeper.

My Hubby likes toys!
    toy tractors,trucks,matchbox etc
    He never says a word.
    and if I mention that I know I spent alot
    his comment is well you will use it eventually!

today is my 25th anniversary! and my DS and his wifes 1st!

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    In our house, DH and I have an unspoken understanding. DH would never dream of complaining about how much time I spend on my relaxing, creative scrapbooking and quilting hobbies and the lack of time I spend on housework. I would never dream of complaining about how much time he spends sitting at that stupid, waste-of-time, waste-of-money, brain-sucking computer and the hundreds of hours spent talking to his friends about the same dang topic over and over and over, and the lack of time he spends on the dead and dying lawn and landscaping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast