Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello--design wall? >

Bargello--design wall?

Bargello--design wall?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 AM

I love Bargellos too but have no space for a design wall in my sewing room. I went to a Dollar Store & bought 2 sheets of foam core. I layer them & tape them up to something. In my case to a set of metal shelves that hold my stash. If the tape lets go I just add more tape. It may not be perfect but I made a queen size double heart using my "wall". When done, I store it behind a chair.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM

If you're designing your own, I did it without a design wall. i drew the basic shape on a sheet of graph paper, and decided how wide the strips should be - I used 1", 2" and 3". i took another sheet of graph paper and colored stripes on it, similar to the colors of the fabrics I wanted. Then i cut the colored strips perpendicular to the changes in color and taped the colored strips to the shape I wanted on the paper. To make it easier to piece accurately, I then labeled the columns of strips with left and right for the direction I wanted to iron, so that the columns of strips would lock together when pieced.

I haven't done a bargello with a mirror image effect, but that would be designed in halfs or quarters. Neither have I done one where both dimensions change width.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 AM

I used my bed to lay the strips out in order of sewing.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Choosing fabrics is daunting. Took me forever to pair all of my fabrics, luckily my quilt shop was patient and helpful
Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM

My design 'wall' is the floor. I spread a sheet or fleece throw and lay out the strips or blocks and number them. Of course, I sometimes have to roll it up(blocks and all) so we can walk through! LOL