Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 2/3 done with X Factor Bargello, and I need a bigger design wall!!

2/3 done with X Factor Bargello, and I need a bigger design wall!!

This is my third....or maybe 4th...posting of my progress with the X Factor Bargello quilt. I am very pleased with the way it is looking....but I already have run out of design wall. If you look carefully, you can see the top right hand corner isn't quite showing because it has folded back behind my design wall, which is portable and leans against my closet door.

The top is 2/3 done. I guess I will be finishing it on top of a bed or something...maybe lots of masking tape on my closet door? See the ladder I have to use to get to the top of it? I already have my design wall resting on 30 inch stools to get it tall enough!

But it is fun, fun, fun, and I do like it. I may have to just work on the last third without having the first 2/3 of it up. Yeah, that is probably what I will have to do...unless anyone has any suggestions??

Thanks for the encouraging words many of you have given me.

....edited....Well, phooey, I picked the wrong picture. I have added the most recent now....but I am afraid to delete the first one... So....please just zoom down to the second picture....(sorry).

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Dina; 05-31-2018 at 04:19 PM.

It is gorgeous. No ideas from me on enlarging your design wall. I just use my double bed as my design wall.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Oh, very pretty! You are making great progress!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Great progress. Beautiful colors. I am infamiliar with how bargellos are made. Are the different little squares(rectangles?) all the same size? I know this is done with strips but do you cut all strips the same width? Thank you.
    Always be kind.

Blog Entries
    I long to do a bargello quilt but they scare me. LOL

Absolutely in awe of your bargello quilt. I suppose you could fold the quilt on the left side so you can work on the right side. Obviously the problem is that you cannot fully admire your progress. Or, as someone else mentioned, you can use a bed as your design wall. I have made one and plan to do another one soon. You are right, it was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by linmid View Post
    I long to do a bargello quilt but they scare me. LOL
    If you really want to make one, (and they aren't that hard, they just take organization and once you figure out the technique, they make you look like you are a much better quilter than you are....or at least they do that for me... ) you could start the way I did...small and learn up. I would recommend Eileen Wright's Twist and Turn Bargello book...I got mine from Amazon. It has about 10 patterns from beginning to advanced. I started with a place mat (towards back of book). She gives detailed step by instructions for all her patterns, but she is really detailed with the place mat, assuming it is your first Bargello. There is also a lot of good information for fabric selection and Bargello making in the front section of the book.

The second one I made was Surf Song, also in the book.

I was hooked. Give it a try. It is fun. Read the instructions until you have your brain wrapped around them though...

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    Absolutely in awe of your bargello quilt. I suppose you could fold the quilt on the left side so you can work on the right side. Obviously the problem is that you cannot fully admire your progress. Or, as someone else mentioned, you can use a bed as your design wall. I have made one and plan to do another one soon. You are right, it was a lot of fun.
    Thanks, I think that will work! I will fold it down to 1/4 of the size it is, and I will leave the part showing that I need to add to. Thanks!

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
    Great progress. Beautiful colors. I am infamiliar with how bargellos are made. Are the different little squares(rectangles?) all the same size? I know this is done with strips but do you cut all strips the same width? Thank you.
    Yes, a Bargello is made with strips. Originally you cut all of the WOF strips the same width. This pattern called for two inches. I cut 190 2 inch strips out of 21 fabrics, 10 blue,10 purple, and one white. Then I sewed all ten blue strips together, then all purple strips together, and then the white strips together. Those become strip sets. Then the strip sets are cut into different sizes. In this pattern, they are from two inch to four inch.

It is an interesting technique and takes some organization, but it makes me look like a much better quilter than I am.

Dina

Blog Entries
    Beautiful. A bargello is on my bucket list. I have a decent sized design wall, but sometimes it is too small. There isn't room in my sewing room to make it larger. SO when I run out of room I have to move it to the design floor. I am woking on a king sized quilt. It is a BOM. At some point the design wall will be too small. I am hoping it will fit on the floor in the bedroom I have taken over for my longarm. (I don't know how to use it yet)

If you have a garage, maybe you could hang your creation on the wall and work on it. had to do this once.

It's coming along beautifully! Pretty colors and the white really sets them off.
    A man only has the right to look down at another when he helps him to lift himself up. - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Linda

What a beautiful quilt

I hung an old flannel KS sheet on my hall wall to use as a design wall. It's big enough for a KS quilt.

That's going to be beautiful. Love the colors you used.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

DJ
    It's great to watch your progress. Keep up the good work. It's beautiful.

I opened a pkg of batting and tacked it to the wall on each side of the closet doors and used it for a quilt that was too big for my design wall.

GramE/pat
    "I listen, the fabric speaks"

Inklingo makes me happy❤️

Blog Entries
    OH my, get a couple of neighbors to hold it for you!! it's looking wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Yes, a Bargello is made with strips. Originally you cut all of the WOF strips the same width. This pattern called for two inches. I cut 190 2 inch strips out of 21 fabrics, 10 blue,10 purple, and one white. Then I sewed all ten blue strips together, then all purple strips together, and then the white strips together. Those become strip sets. Then the strip sets are cut into different sizes. In this pattern, they are from two inch to four inch.

It is an interesting technique and takes some organization, but it makes me look like a much better quilter than I am.

Dina
    I am like linmid...scared to try. I really like the colors in your bargello and the X factor layout is a very interesting one. Thank you, Dina, for the info on how to do it and for the prompt reply.
    Always be kind.

That is gorgeous. I LOVE bargellos. I've made one and 'fixed' one my mom made at the same time. Both were gorgeous. Think it's time I made another one! lol

Beautiful quilt. Sue

Dina you could just get a couple of yards of fleece and tack it to the wall, this way when you don't need it just take it down. It really does work well. Good luck.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!