Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello piecing qestion >

Bargello piecing qestion

Bargello piecing qestion

Old 07-30-2016, 11:26 AM

Default Bargello piecing qestion

I'm doing a modification of a Bargello quilt pattern, using long strips of a single fabric for the "background".
I'm wanting to put a couple of strips on each side of the main design. The question I have regards placement of the seams extending the length of those strips as WOF is too short. The seam nearest the design I'm planning to do at the seam of the final design element. However I'm wondering if the second strip should also have the seam in the same spot or stair stepped like the main design.
Thanks in advance for your expertise!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Can you tell us what pattern you are using?? I have dozen dozens of Bargellos but not one with strips longer than 42". I guess you would need to piece those together.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 PM

I'm doing two adjacent hearts (using pinky purples for one and blue purples for the other) out of a pattern with 9 in the original all over lattice type design in a single colorway meant for a large bed.
Mine is going to be throw sized.

I used 2-1/2" strips to create the color ways instead of 3" strips and modified the cuts accordingly. I also used 7 different fabrics in each colorway instead of 5 in a single colorway. Then I used a single "background" fabric to set them off, hence the need for really long strips on the sides.

Think mine now qualifies as a semi-original design. Lol!

Will take a picture as soon as I get the last couple of strip sets sewn
Old 07-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Ok I'm trying to get this picture to work.

This is my Bargello so far. I'm debating adding another strip or two of background on either side. And also wondering about doing a border. Current size is about 41x51.

If I do add more background, should the seams be stairstepped to continue the pattern of the hearts?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 AM

Very pretty. Why not just add a narrow border or flange in one of the darker colors, then a narrow border in the background color and then a wider border in another darker color. Or just add a border in the background color and continue adding borders. I would not think it is necessary to stagger the background.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:27 AM

Agreed. I've never worried about the seam needed in what I would consider a border (even if it touched the same fabric within the main part of the quilt). I think after quilting most seams generally tend to disappear unless you are going to do a stitch in the ditch/follow the seam pattern.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 AM

I decided to add three borders. The first 2" border of the lavender pin dot is a subtle transition from the background to the narrow 1-1/2" border of the middle fabric in the pinky purple heart (has both blue and pink). Then final 2-1/2" border of the bottom fabric in the blue purple heart. Binding will be dark purple - not sure yet which one.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is looking great. When you quilt the background, I doubt if the seams will even show.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:25 PM

I think it's what you like, personally, when you look at it. I'd lay it on the bed and do it both ways with the strips and see. Me...I'd stagger the seams. Happy piecing
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Pretty so far.