Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello Question >

Bargello Question

Bargello Question

Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 AM

Looks like we all learned and shared our quilting skills on two pages. Learn something new every day, my father used to say and we need each other to accomplish this.

happy quilting, now all we need is more hours in the day, right?

Carol J.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 AM

buy a "go" it cuts straight EVERY TIME
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 AM

OMG!! I learned the lesson of "go up one side and down the other" really soon when I started quilting! The only course for quilting was an advanced one, which I took. (I didn't know ANYTHING about quilting or sewing for that matter. When we were instructed to put the strips together, I rapidly sewed all of the strips starting from one direction!!!OMG!!! Talk about RIPPLES!!! Luckily, I swallowed my pride and took the thing to class! What laughter I got! Such a simple explanation but I will NEVER forget to sew
Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 AM

continued from my last answer....
Sew up one side and down the other....
I will never forget that !!!!!!
You REALLY do learn more from a mistake than if all goes right!!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 AM

You really have to start with straight strips. Please be very careful while cutting your strips. Then if you reverse ends when sewing together, you should be set to go...
S T R A I G H T to a beautiful quilt.
Charlie
Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for this important information. I would never have known about this problem and how to solve it. I love this site. I have learned so much from it!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM

When pressing your stratas don't lay them the length of the ironing board but the narrow way on the board and press the seams to the side.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the question and all the answers, Im currently working on a quilt for a friend and have been having this problem, So I will do this from now on. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by FabrikQueen
Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by FabrikQueen
When sewing the strips together how does one keep them perfectly straight so they don't have a bow (commonly known as a dog leg) in the center of the strip . Even if you sew a perfectly straight 1/4" s eam there is still a bow the strip. There has to be a secret.
Reverse directions when sewing the seams. In other words, when you sew 2 rows together and get to the end, turn around and sew from that end to the beginning of the row you previously sewed. Alternating directions keeps the rows from bowing.
Thank you. Now how do you press the seams...open or to the side?
I've done several bargellos. I tried the method of sewing one direction and the next row the other. I found it doesn't make a particle of difference. What made a difference for me was the pressing. I drew a straight line on my ironing surface and when I pressed each row, I made SURE that the seam lined up to that line. If you can avoid working with width of fabric strips, my suggestion would be to work with 22 - 25" strips, or half the width of fabric. You might waste a bit more, as you won't be able to use the full width, but it won't be much, and the ease of working with the shorter strips makes it worthwhile. And press the seams one way, not open. You may have to re-press when putting them together. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:53 PM

i love that pattern.