Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello question >

Bargello question

Bargello question

Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Default Bargello question

Ok foolish me thought that I would try a Bargello. Have drooled over all the beautiful ones displayed on this site.

I purchased the on line digital pattern. ( that may have been my first mistake, no second, thinking I could do it was my first)

Spiral Burst Bargello Quilt Pattern from Clotilde

Has anyone done this one and should I have picked a simpler pattern one for a first time?

I love the colors and will try to find a on line fabric store to match up the colors. Hints or advice appreciated
and I won't be offended if you tell me to pack it away for another time. LOL

Thanks Gail
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM

It is doable as a beginner , but think you would be just a bit frustrated. If you are a patient person ..go for it ! I would pick a simpler and smaller bargello just to get the method "under my belt" first... then dive in. It not really a hard method .. it just a different method of basic strip piecing. The pattern you picked has alot of sub sections of strips , maybe pick one that does not have so many sub sections.

Last edited by Lori S; 02-20-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM

I have been sewing all my life, am as old as dirt LOL made a few quilts, maybe a dozen, taken a lot of classes. No preview before buying this baby, LOL only the photo. Thanks Lori you may be right. It looks complicated even though it is all straight seams.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 AM

I agree with Lori. Pick a basic one to do first, then move onto this one. I have the Twist and Turn Bargello book but I forced myself to start with a super easy one, which looking back, I appreciate since I know what to do differently and I'd rather learn on a basic one before attempting my masterpieces

Here's a link to a previous topic about finding a free pattern: http://www.quiltingboard.com/introdu...ern-t5022.html
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful pattern. I would have to label everything really well. I agree you might be much happier to begin simple.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM

I just took a class last week by Lyn Mann, she is an excellent teacher and the pattern was not very hard. It is called bargello heart and if you have problems with it you can call her and email her here is her info

www.quiltsbylyn.com
[email protected]

I just checked and the pattern is not on her sit, but I am sure you can email her and she can get one to you

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 02-20-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: site info
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Gail,

I have to disagree with the others. I have been quilting for 2 years. I didn't even know how to work a sewing machine before that.

I completed my first bargello last fall. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t169325.html

I enjoyed doing the bargello and did not think it was difficult. I get a good feeling when I challenge myself. I say go for it!

Elise
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Thank you all for the info. I guess I am going find the fabric and hen decide. If nothing else it will
hopefully inspire me to go with and easy one to face the challenge. Somedays I am sure I will say
what the heck just try and others I will look at that patterrn and think I must have been out of my mind.
Will keep you posted. Thanks again for info.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
Gail,

I have to disagree with the others. I have been quilting for 2 years. I didn't even know how to work a sewing machine before that.

I completed my first bargello last fall. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t169325.html

I enjoyed doing the bargello and did not think it was difficult. I get a good feeling when I challenge myself. I say go for it!

Elise
It really depends on the person, their personality, their learning style, and their frustration level. I have taught people who could do it, and I have taught people who would be totally and completely frustrated.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM

I haven't tried doing one with a pattern, but have done several just 'winging it' with my own design. Don't know if that's easier or not...LOL! That's just the way I tend to do things. Sometimes I'm more confused by trying to follow a pattern than by looking at a picture and trying to copy it.
Good luck and hang in there!