Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello quilt patterns >

Bargello quilt patterns

Bargello quilt patterns

Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Bargello quilt patterns

I want to make a bargello type of quilt with scrappy strips. I have only seen them done in beautiful designs. Would it be ok to just start making strips and use up my stash. I have a vision but don't know how to explain it. Have you all used patterns for this?
Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim WA
Old 02-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I would think you could use scraps in the same colours grouped together in strips to form a pattern. Random scraps would not give you a pattern.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

The best bargellos I have seen are more about value(light, medium, dark) and the skillful placement of the values in the strip unit then about color. I think you would do best to select from your scrap piles based on tones of light medium and dark and once you have about 20 1/2 yard pieces picked out then start arranging them in the order you think they would look best prior to cutting any strips. JMHO.

Edited to add, google images of "scrappy bargello quilts" and you will get loads of ideas.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

The only bargello quilt that is made from scraps that I know of is Bonnie' Quiltville.com. Be sure to print the instruction because she does take them down after a period of time.