Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Bargello?

  1. #1
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brady TX
    Posts
    5,901
    How do you pronounce Bargello? Every time I want to talk about how neat they are or that I want to make one I get all tongue tied. It tickeles my family. :-D

  2. #2
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    I think you pronounce it like it is spelled. Bar gello. If I'm wrong somebody correct me please.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Springfield,South Carolina
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I think you pronounce it like it is spelled. Bar gello. If I'm wrong somebody correct me please.
    you are right

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,080
    It is pronounced BAR jello. I want to make one of these when I am not taking a class or something.

  5. #5
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brady TX
    Posts
    5,901
    With a J or G ??

  6. #6
    Senior Member Quiltzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas (Transplanted from Ohio 2006)
    Posts
    769
    Here is a site that will pronounce it aloud for you. Bargello on dictionary.com (bahr-jel-oh)

  7. #7
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    I didn't know it was suppose to sound like jello. Quiltzilla thankyou for the link.

  8. #8
    Super Member GrammaNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,935
    I just found out about the jello thing the other day. It's OK, we are all learning every day.

  9. #9
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brady TX
    Posts
    5,901
    Thanks guys! I knew if I asked here I'd get the answer. Ya'll are great!!!

  10. #10
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    I've heard it pronounced bar-zhello (like a french pronunciation). I watched a youtube tut which pronounced it that way so I just always did it that way. :?

  11. #11
    Super Member IrishNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    was Upstate NY, now Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    2,025
    PS, you are right. I was going to answer but couldn't figure out how to describe the j sound of the g. You did it perfectly.

  12. #12
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    PS, you are right. I was going to answer but couldn't figure out how to describe the j sound of the g. You did it perfectly.
    :lol: Thanks, I homeschool and this month we're covering that sound actually. It's the same sound in "vision" which is one of my girls' vocab words. I just couldn't think of that while I typed that earlier. :-D But the dictionary told me I was wrong, :lol: .

    I actually went to the online dictionary and am having so much fun! I'm sitting across from my DH and he can't figure out what I'm doing!

  13. #13
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brady TX
    Posts
    5,901
    So it's ZH instead of G or J!!
    Oh wow now we all know!!
    You people are so great!!

  14. #14
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Well, the dictionary said it was a "j" sound like in jello so maybe the youtube tut was wrong. I just don't want to be the reason everyone is mispronouncing it, :lol: .

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Well, the dictionary said it was a "j" sound like in jello so maybe the youtube tut was wrong. I just don't want to be the reason everyone is mispronouncing it, :lol: .
    I think it depends on whether your dictionary is an international version or strictly a US version. The international pronounciation would be zh while the American one would be j. In the US either would be correct. But then we tend to change pronunciations to suit us!! Actually the zh and j are so close as to not make much of a difference. If you click on the "Show IPA" on dictionary.com it actually shows "dze" for the pronunciation.

  16. #16
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Well, the dictionary said it was a "j" sound like in jello so maybe the youtube tut was wrong. I just don't want to be the reason everyone is mispronouncing it, :lol: .
    I think it depends on whether your dictionary is an international version or strictly a US version. The international pronounciation would be zh while the American one would be j. In the US either would be correct. But then we tend to change pronunciations to suit us!! Actually the zh and j are so close as to not make much of a difference. If you click on the "Show IPA" on dictionary.com it actually shows "dze" for the pronunciation.
    Awesome! Thanks!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.