Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basic block question >

Basic block question

Basic block question

Old 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM

I agree... I like it the way it is, but I also cut HUGE then cut to size after I am done. I am NOT good at math by any stretch of the imagination
Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Where are you in Peoria? I'm in Glendale by the football stadium. PM me if you would like. I have a couple of small groups that you are welcome to join. Its fun to have company and we help each other with our dilemmas!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM

I love your cardinal. That is a very pretty block.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM

You could use the Square in a Square method if you don't think you could do it well with using oversized triangles and then cutting it down. The SiS, by Jodi Barrows, method really works well. I don't use it much because I think it wastes material. But, it is the easiest method for insuring a good 'fit.'

Here is a video of one way to make SiS: http://www.hgtv.com/video/super-fast-rotary-cutting-video/index.html I love this technique for scrappy quilts.

This site has a chart for the different sizes: http://quiltville.com/sqinsqtutorial.shtml

Another site: http://www.frugalquilting.com/square_in_a_square_quilting_block.htm Use method #2 for your block it is much neater.

Also: http://sleepyowlstudio.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/square-in-a-square-quilt-block-tutorial/ but this needs that specified size for the center square. Likewise: http://www.askpennyhalgren.com/IKM/questions/135/How+do+you+make+the+Square+in+a+Square+Quilt+Block %3F

You might understand the math involved by looking at how this one does the different SiS sizes: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art172248.asp

Yes, I know, I had too much time on my hands. Oh well.

Enjoy,
ali

Last edited by AliKat; 10-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM

Make the diagonal square larger relax about the maths. You will find that pressing adding the applique etc all alter the middle diagonals. Even putting on the outside triangle corners you may stretch as you sew.
Cutting. Bis square down , donot forget to leave a 1/4 inch seam allowance above the points. When sew next outer edge on it may be easier as a newbie to sew with the pieced section on top. You can see where the seams cross just make sure you go just above ( forget seam allowance fo a few stitches past) .should be sharp point if you can follow my instructions.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 AM

From a math burnout perspective, it's a right triangle, therefore a^2+b^2=c^2. So top and side lengths of your center square, squared, added together, will be squared length of your diagonal. take the square root of that and that's your length, add 7/8, or do what I (and most everyone else I know) do and round up to the next whole number, sew on, trim up. viola. Do this on a calculator. It's not worth it to go OMG MATH EWWW.. heheh. That would actually give you the proper TRIANGLE size but most people I know use a square then cut off the corners, which is a wasteful method, agreed, BUT.. you can make a presto chango viola HST from that corner you cut off if you just sew another seam while you're at it, 1/2" away from the first. My brain just flitted away but I think if you do the square method just find the midpoint length and add an inch then trim down.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM

I think the wing is cut backwards. The feather humps should go towards the bird. Didn't know if you noticed
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Your block is beautiful. I did not notice the points until you mentioned them.

Originally Posted by QuiltedCritterLady View Post
I am working on this block to be the center square for a memory quilt for a friend who was recently diagnosed with inoperable cancer. I am still fairly new (obviously) to quilting and don't know what I did wrong on the background. I wanted an 8" block (8 1/2") finished size. What should I have done differently? I think I ran across a formula for this type of block at one point, but I can't seem to find it. Can one of you please share that with me?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Another thought would be to do a paper mock up....easier on the mind....and then work backwards....and yes I like the idea of over cutting....my goodness that extra 1/2-3/4" can been a huge life saver, and give you good looking blocks.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM

I have the same problem also. Making a quilt with triangle and losing my points or the overlap.