Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Basting edges before binding?

Quote Originally Posted by MegsAnn
    I pin 'em. Never thought of basting the edges, but I'll have to try it.
    I started zig zagging the raw edges when I was fairly new quilter. I'd got the binding all sewn on to my first quilt and noticed that not all of the backing had been caught in the binding. Once I figured out that zig zagging would solve this problem, I kept on doing it.

I baste around the perimeter of the quilt usually right after quilting it and before the binding is put on.

I use saftey pins on the edge...works for me

I machine baste with a long stitch about 1/8" inch in from the edge. It takes a bit to do this, but I find it is worth it.

Wall hangings and lap quilts I surge before binding. Large quilts, machine baste. I like flat even edges. D in TX

I have serged the edges of my quilt before binding it and it was the most perfectly squared quilt I had done.

I always hand baste.

I like the sergered edges but have hand basted

I machine baste around the edges oft the quilt befoe
    I put on the binding.

ef :)

I machine baste with the longest stitch I have.

I'm surprised at how many people baste, surge, zig zag, etc. I never have. Never even heard of it til now. Since I've never done it this way I don't think I'm going to start now. I like the way I do it. It works for me and I"m happy with it. I quilt to about 1/4 inch from edge, then add binding to the top, trim excess away, fold to back and machine sew binding down from the front SITD method. I use a ton of pins and I like the way I do it.

I sew the binding on first before trimming anything , that way I can be sure that the binding is full enough. The judges don't like binding that is empty. I never baste.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I never used to baste , just in too much of a hurry to get it finished. But I did find that taking the time to baste the edge made the binding that much faster and easier. Now I never sew a binding without basting. Even quilts I have sent out to the longarm , I ask them to baste the edge . ( not all do it without asking) .
    I had never heard of basting b4 binding until I took a quilt to a long-armer and she did it - so much nicer! Now I machine baste each side after I quilt the border.

I also serge the edges. I find that its easier to sew the binding and that it comes out looking better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    I'm surprised at how many people baste, surge, zig zag, etc. I never have. Never even heard of it til now. Since I've never done it this way I don't think I'm going to start now. I like the way I do it. It works for me and I"m happy with it. I quilt to about 1/4 inch from edge, then add binding to the top, trim excess away, fold to back and machine sew binding down from the front SITD method. I use a ton of pins and I like the way I do it.
    This is a good way too - thanks for your input as I might try this one for my little grandson's quilt and will be a lot faster than hand stitching the binding on the back side.

I machine stitch around my quilts before adding the binding.
    I think it keeps it from stretching when I do add the binding
    and keeps everything nice and flat. By pulling the fabric taught I don't have excess fabric when I add my binding.
    I add the binding before I trim the excess batting and backing also.

PJO

I machine sew around my quilt before binding.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just put the binding on with no pins or basting. God bless.

I hand baste all around the edges, all three layers and then put the binding on. Makes for a nicer finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R
    Do you hand or machine baste the outside edges, after quilting, to get it ready to put on the binding? Or do you just pin the outside edges of the sandwich together?

Thanks for your input.
    I do always baste around the outside edge of the quilt before binding and sometimes on the machine and often by hand. I'm working on a throw that I'm handquilting which has a scalloped border so this one is being quilted by hand all around that scalloped edge. I probably hand baste around those outside edges more often than I machine baste but machine would be faster, that's for sure. I'd say it's one of those personal preference things. For large quilts, to save time, I have used a large basting stitch on the machine and sewn the edge. Both work just fine.
    Patty

I never stitched or basted edges but i will now. Thanks Susie sew-a-lot

I too, have never heard of basting before putting the binding on. I will have to try it and see if that works for me especially with stipple quilting to the edge makes it ruffle a little.

Blog Entries
    I also have never done more than pin my binding on - but sometimes the edges don't always stay even - so I will try and sew the edges of the quilt in the future and see how that works out.

I'm always learning something new on this board! Thanks!

I glue my binding on and heat set with the iron, no basting or stretching when sewing it on. Also glue on the opposite side then hand sew, no pins to stick or get in the way.

I have just recently started serging the edges and think it makes it easier to sew on the binding and also helps fill out the binding. But before I do, I steam press all 3 layers of my sandwich before I square it up. The steam seems to hold the layers together so I only have to pin in the corners before I serge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast