Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting a large quilt >

Basting a large quilt

Basting a large quilt

Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

My aunt would pin her backing, batting and quilt top on a clothesline and baste it there. She would start at the middle and then use the pole to lower or raise the line. She used a 2 x 4 to roll the quilt from the bottom, held it in place with diaper pins on each end, then unrolled it as needed. She was fast doing it this way, I've never tried it, mostly because I've never had a clothesline. :?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM

I foud a great way to bast you quilt on your table. So much easire than I was taught. go to youtube and search for hand basting.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM

DH made me basting frames. They are 4 1X2 boards with fabric strips attached. The boards sit on 4 posts which are tall enough that I do not have to bend over while basting. Saves the ole back. The boards are attached to the posts by C clamps. I pin the quilt to the fabric strips and baste as far as I can reach. Then roll the basted area around the boards and baste again. I continue until I have reached the other end. If you have a "basting party" with friends, you can work from both ends at the same time and meet in the middle of the quilt. Much faster.

I have used the wall by attaching the quilt to the wall at the top and basted away. Gravity is your friend.

dH made me
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM

I too am space challenged when it comes to basting large quilts. After watching a video online, I purchased some very straight 1X3 pine boards and used Sharon Schambers method of rolling the fabric on the boards on my dining room table. I have done one quilt with her herringbone stitch basting and one using pins for basting and the boards worked great both ways. Sure is easier on the back and the old knees!
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html

Maybe this would be a solution for you also.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM

I just watched the videos on hand basting using the boards......looks very interesting.......can't wait to try it! I have pin basted the few quilts that I have done so far as I didn't like the idea of the spray basting!! This looks like a great alternative.

Barb
Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 PM

First, I mark the centers of the sides of backing, batting and top. I also mark the CENTERS of backing and batting.

I spray baste. In good weather, DH puts saw horses outside & tops them with plywood or masonite. (In other weather, we do it in the living room) I put a sheet on top of that, then the quilt bottom. I use those big office clips to hold them taut - but not TOO taut- and I line up my centering marks. Then I spray the backing (never the batting - it can melt) a little at a time and press the batting on it. When that's done, I spread the top over the batting, matching the centering marks again, smoothing it with a yardstick, and I do a final check on the centering marks. Then I spray a little at a time, this time on the BACK of the TOP.

It takes about 15 minutes total for a twin size quilt, a little longer for a double. A large quilt will be much larger than the plywood or masonite, and I certainly couldn't reach the center if it WAS larger anyway! So I do the center first, then the sides, carefully folding up the sides, so they don't catch & tear on the edges of the wood.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Spray basting is the way to go for me. I go to my church and lay my quilt on the tables there and spray baste. My first quilt (other than tying a comforter) was 90 something x 106 or something like that . I spray basted it and then quilted it with a small hand held hoop. I figure that the most important thing is to get the quilt centered and then work out from there, smoothing as you go. At least this is the way that I did it. Do any of you do it that way too?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 AM

I have been reading through the replies but have not, as yet, seen this link which I came across as I was dreading the prospect of basting my next big quilt. I asked my son to procure two boards, but he decided to go one better and produced a collapsible frame with three boards, one for each layer. It works like a dream and I can store it behind the sofa!
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/index.html (go to the free area and you will find info for basting a quilt)
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM

Hi, I'm Pam from Chippewa Falls. I have two wooded sawhorses with a old closed (sliding door) door 36" x 73", it works great. I bought cheap sawhorses, but from leaning on the table they started to slowly spread their legs out. So my DH mad me a pair from wood scrap just the height I wanted. I cut my fabric on it, and do all my pinning. :D
Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM

I've been known to set up my quilting frames leaning against the wall (as if I were going to pin the whole thing to it) and hang the quilt from it. I pin enough to keep it stable and I then baste it with a basting gun. Works pretty well in a small space. I also go to my local church and use their tables as well. I'm definitely not a pro but this works!