Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Basting with pool noodles..

Basting with pool noodles..

Ok, I tryed this and failed miserably! Pin basted ...4 times!!...then went back to my old big table method.
    Looks easy ,so what did I do wrong? I'd love to do this!

Blog Entries
    What specifically was the issue? top not smooth? bottom had folds?????
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Mostly the bottom was really bad, and I tried very hard to smooth it out! tried harder with each time!! Got a little better, but no luck. I was using 100% natural cotton batting, and thought that may be some of the problem?? Any suggestions?, I'd like to try it again. Vide
    os look easy!!!

Blog Entries
    I used hardwood floor boards (1 x 3" x 8'). The strength and hardness helps me get a tight, taunt, turn on the fabric. I also get a helper to tightly wind the fabric on the boards. It is easier to smooth the fabric as I baste. Another tip: don't unwind too much as you baste, 12-18" is plenty. Keep the rest of the fabric wound on the boards.

Maybe if you put some pins at beginning before you start rolling the backing
    it will prevent shifting.

Blog Entries
    Did you stabilize the pool noodles by running dowels through the center? If I were to try this, I think stabilizing the noodles would be key. Seems to me that flat wooden boards, similar to what Sharon Schambers uses in her Youtube video, would actually be easier.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

I did not have too much luck with getting them rolled tight enough and all three layers even. I think it takes two people.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I use the boards and find that works best for me

Blog Entries
    I always thought using pool noodles would be challenging, since they're squishy and bendy. I prefer to use them to sword fight with my teen boys.

I too had a really hard time with the pool noodles, then I saw this video other day here on the forum, and think it may solve my problem. I was too dense to realize that I needed to pin the fabric to the noodle to get it tight. I haven't tried it yet but I have 3 noodles and also have 2 pieces of 3/4" PVC pipe left over from a chicken project. The PVC fits exactly into the holes in the pool noodles and makes them much sturdier. ie: no bending. The 10ft long piece of PVC at my local Lowes was about 3.00! I think even cheaper than wooden dowels.
    Anyway, here is the link to the discussion here on the forum and the link to the youtube video is in message #20 on how to baste the easy way. In the video she uses pipe insulation and PVC. I just plan to use what I already have. Hope this helps

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ingenious-idea-sandwich-quilt-t296911.html

I spray baste with long cardboard tubes & it would be the same with pool noodles. Do you tape the bottom fabric to your table to start? That often helps. Once that's done, roll the batting on a tube, spray an area lightly with spray baste & line up the top of the backing with the batting, unroll the batting to where you stopped spraying, smoothing as you go. Once the batting is on the backing, roll the flimsy on a tube from bottom up & do the same as with the batting. I have very good luck this way. I use June Tailor Spray Baste & it never lets me down! Good luck!

I use 1 X 3 boards for the top and backing and a cardboard tube for the batting. I think the weight of the boards helps keep the top and bottom smooth.

I really wish that I knew what 'pool noodles' is/are. This conversation is not enlightening me either!

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    I really wish that I knew what 'pool noodles' is/are. This conversation is not enlightening me either!
    You can buy them in Wal-Mart and put a dowl rod through the center. You then roll the backing, batting and top onto each one. It is a method of basting. It worked for me, but I've only done it once, so I don't have much experience yet.Name:  IMG_3466.JPG
Views: 1196
Size:  1.26 MB

Here's a good quick video showing it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIdv6iwLeQ
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    Mr. google is your friend.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_noodle
    Alyce

I use the noodles with spray basting. Works fine for me. I pin basted once and threw all the pins away after that one time. I detested it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.