Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting queen quilt >

Basting queen quilt

Basting queen quilt

Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 PM

I've longarmer do basting, but it wasn't exactly a small fee- about $50 if I remember. It was a queen size quilt. The other thing was that it went into the line of quilts to be done, & it was probably 6wks or so before I got it back.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM

I've started using a table too, I only have a regular sized fold-out table (I think it's about 3x6 or something; not huge) and so far I've only used the technique on small quilts and that has worked. I haven't done a large quilt yet.

I use Elmer's to baste and I haven't been securing anything down first, which seems so wild and wrong according to everything on the internet but is also how I remember my grandmother doing it so I've been trying it out. (Although her quilts were tied, so slightly different 'animal' - I think tied quilts are a little more forgiving if your backing is a little loose.)

What I do is, first I fold everything in half in each direction and use pins to mark the mid points on all 4 edges of the batting, backing, and top; 2 pins go into whichever side will be the "top" of the quilt so I can keep it all straight. Then I lay my batting down first, with the double-pins centered on the short edge of the table. Smooth it all out then lay the backing down on top, lining up the double pins at the top first (to make sure I have it on the right direction) and then making sure the rest of the pins line up as well. Smooth that all out, peel back one side, drizzle glue, smooth it back down, peel back the other side, glue, smooth. Then I hit it with a hot iron briefly to set the glue. That's an important step or it'll shift on me as I'm re-draping it. Then I scootch it around and do the rest of the quilt in steps, following the same method. Then flip it over and repeat for the top; starting off with the double pins lined up again.

On smaller quilts...this has worked perfectly so far, even without any clamps or tape to hold things taut. I think the repeated smoothing and all the glue takes care of it OK. I'm a little scared to do my next big quilt (I have a king and a queen in line) but my back and knees just don't like me crawling around on the floor anymore so I'm really hoping this works out!

If not, the local sewing center allows people to user their classroom tables as long as they aren't already in use. They just ask that you call ahead, and they forbid spray basting. They have enough tables I could easily push them all together and fit a king size on top with no draping. No idea how I'd reach the middle of a quilt that size, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 AM

A few years back, I purchased two 8' long folding tables for a yard sale. I put them side by side in my finished basement (where my quilt studio is located). Basting is a breeze now!