Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting a Quilt  --My problematic project >

Basting a Quilt --My problematic project

Basting a Quilt --My problematic project

Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM

I have only used safety pins. Too lazy for basting.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM

I've done my basting a few different ways. I started out using safety pins, but I don't always know how I'm going to quilt my project when I'm basting, and don't want to have to move the pins once I start, so I don't use them much anymore. If I was more of a planner, I probably would still use them.
Then, I HAVE used Sharon Shamber's method with the long boards, but for some reason, I had some difficulty with getting the pieced top to be even on the board. My backing would go on smoothly, but the top would be temperamental.
Where I've landed lately is to use the big black office binder clips to clip my backing to my table starting in the middle of my quilt. Then smooth on my batting and clip it, and then my top. I start basting with a light crochet thread (that comes on the big spool), using a long dollmaking needle. Works like a charm, and I don't have to have a huge, huge table to make it work.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
Can anyone give me a few details on how "you" baste your quilts? Some use safety pins, while some don't. Some use regular pins, some don't. Some baste with thread...some use the basting sprays.
Do you use starch? Where do you do your basting (floor, kitchen table, etc.)
ania755 posted this link to a video in another thread (the other thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/26522.page ) about basting:
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/fre...ing/index.html
I've found that to be helpful, well, it's informative. It hasn't "helped" me yet because I haven't tried it. Has anyone ever used this method? Does everyone really baste that close together. I had in my head that it was good to baste 5 inches apart. I did baste mine closer than 5 inches, though.

I may find time to re-baste and possibly quilt this project this weekend. I'm hopeful.
If it is a small wall quilt have you thought of temporary basting spray?

I tape the back down to the floor or on a table with masking tape so that it is taut (don't stretch it). Spray with basting spray. Then I smooth the batting down on top of that. I would then spray the basting spray on the batting, center the top on it and start smoothing it out. You can then pin it, sew baste it, or just go start sewing.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

I used pins for a long time and then tried basting spray. I'll never go back. The basting spray just works so much better for me. Oh, and I would baste it over again so it's better. It will be easier to work with rather than trying to fix as you go.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 AM

I used Sharon's method of using trim boards a couple of times, on two of the grandkids quilts. It works, my backs were totally smooth, which was a major issue I had. It does seem to take forever to baste them though.

Now, since DH made me the quilting frame, I only pin across the top while on the floor, then finish pinning up on the table, and it's good to go. So far all my backs have been totally smooth. The frame holds them snug.

I'm still waiting for someone to develope a way for me to just blink and they'll all be quilted.....
:-)
Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses and tips. I haven't had time to work on it...yet. I may try the basting spray. I have a can of it I bought a long time ago.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I love spray, 505 is great, and on small wall hangings, you don't even need any pins. I have used it on about 30 projects.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by minstrel
I've done my basting a few different ways. I started out using safety pins, but I don't always know how I'm going to quilt my project when I'm basting, and don't want to have to move the pins once I start, so I don't use them much anymore. If I was more of a planner, I probably would still use them.
Then, I HAVE used Sharon Shamber's method with the long boards, but for some reason, I had some difficulty with getting the pieced top to be even on the board. My backing would go on smoothly, but the top would be temperamental.
Where I've landed lately is to use the big black office binder clips to clip my backing to my table starting in the middle of my quilt. Then smooth on my batting and clip it, and then my top. I start basting with a light crochet thread (that comes on the big spool), using a long dollmaking needle. Works like a charm, and I don't have to have a huge, huge table to make it work.
Do you pull your crochet thread out as you quilt or do you wait until you are all done and then pull it all out? Thanks. I like the idea of the large paper clips.