Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: basting spray

Carol certain kinds like 505 say right on the back that they wont gum up your needle. I use Krylon and my can doesn't say that. With the Krylon I can see a little bit of gumy on the needle after my sewing machine has embroidered a whole bunch, but I don't have trouble when I'm using it to baste. The lure half the price keeps me going back.

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I found I had a can of basting spray that I had forgotten about and never used. So I sprayed a lap quilt this afternoon. Is it really true that I don't have to pin anything now? I still have it laying on the floor. I'm scared to pick it up. So, I can just pick it up and start quilting? This sounds too good to be true.

Maybe I should let it dry a bit before sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnette
    I've been reading this thread with great interest. I found I had a can of basting spray that I had forgotten about and never used. So I sprayed a lap quilt this afternoon. Is it really true that I don't have to pin anything now? I still have it laying on the floor. I'm scared to pick it up. So, I can just pick it up and start quilting? This sounds too good to be true.
    Yes! pick up and go for it. I thought the same thing the first time. "to good to be true" But it is true. As soon as you have smoothed out the fabric it is ready to quilt. IT'S GREAT!

sewsewquilter is completely right on this one. No worries, dig right on in and start quilting. When mine are "fresh sprayed" the smell can cling a little bit, but that goes away quickly. The hold on the other hand smooth it and your good to go. I pick mine up right off the floor and haul it to the sewing machine. :)

I have started quilting the king size ( I do mean HUGE ) quilt that I sprayed with the basting spray. It is amazing. It stays stuck together just like I wanted and is not gumming up my needle. I don't know who invented this but they deserve a medal. Why didn't I find this two years ago.

I recently quilted a quilt that I had sprayed a year ago. It was still sticking together, though maybe a little looser on the borders. I have been using this for several years. Love It!!!

Wow! I'm gonna dig around for a Joann's coupon and go buy some more!

Lyn
    First of all I am new to this group but I have been reading your posts for the last, oh, maybe a year. This is the most informative and useful site I have found. You are all friendly and helpful so I made the jump and joined. Oh by the way I have used basting spray for a year also and my fingers thank me.

Wow...I am going to have to try this myself. I had a friend spray for me a small quilt I was working on and it didn't hold -so, I gave it no more thought on the subject. I don't know which one she used,but, must not have been the one you all are talking about:))Will defin. try it myself!! Do you think this will work for appliq too??I've pin basted where I want my objects and have pinned myself crazy!! Every time I stitch I poke myself!:))LOL Skeat

I've been handquilting a 50 x 70 lap quilt since July. (I've not been well, so not much time to spend on it). It is still holding together. At first it was sticky and a little (not too much) hard to push the needle thru. Now it goes thru easy. I guess it "cures" with time. I'll definitely use it again.

Linda

I found my Joann's coupon and made the 40 mile trip down there and guess what? The basting spray was already on sale for 50% off! Yay! So I bought 2 cans and used the coupon for some more fabric that I (didn't) need. I haven't started quilting yet, I have a top I want to finish before I switch my machine over to the walking foot. But, after reading all the posts I won't worry about it. The kind my Joann's has is June Taylor's basting spray, anyone used this kind before?

I use the 505 Spray on alot of smaller projects. I think I tried it once on a full size quilt, but I had to be sure the quiting was done within a few days as it does dry away after a while.

I love the stuff! I have my students use it Saturday past on their table runners, and tonight I will have them use it on their tree skirts. This is their last night and my last night of teaching til the new year!! I am looking forward to the break now!

Everyone seems to use and like 505 basting spray. Does anyone use Sulky KK 2000? How do the two compare?

I use it all the time on wall hangings. It works great and although it might be a bit pricey, it lasts a long time.

Are there only two kinds out there? Is there a generic or anything like that?

I use Sullivans. You can get it at WalMart I know and probably other places. Its a fairly big can for around $5 to $7. One can will do a big quilt or several baby quilts and/or wall hangings. I have used several other brands and seem to always go back to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by vicki reno
    I use Sullivans. You can get it at WalMart I know and probably other places. Its a fairly big can for around $5 to $7. One can will do a big quilt or several baby quilts and/or wall hangings. I have used several other brands and seem to always go back to this one.
    Is that the can that is red and blue? I used one from Walmart (dont' remember the name of it, thats why I asked for can colours). I found it to be very sticky and clumped. Last going off I had to use rubber gloves as my fingers kept sticking together from cleaning the gunk off the nozzle :(

No that is a different one. I too had trouble with it. This is a greenish blue can.

I was certain I mentioned this, I use Krylon 1020, you can get it at Micheal's for $6 or $7 no sale no coupon post tax. When the can is nearly gone sometimes the nozzle has a bit of batting on it, but that just "picks" right off in a second or so. There are all different kinds out there, Joann's by far has the SMALLEST most expensive selection.

A bigger can is better because then you have it on hand for whatever you need it, for big and small projects (the big can will do two quilts full/queen, plus a bit). Once you get hooked that little can will look like a waste of money.

Once you find the right section, in any of the aforementioned stores (Micheal's, Joanns, Walmart, the LQS, etc.) look at all the different cans, be CERTAIN it lists that it's okay for fabric on the back and you'll be good to go.

Blog Entries
    Joannes only had one kind--Taylor. It's a big can for $10--I used my 40% coupon. It says "quilt basting spray" on the can, so I figure it's got to be okay. I hope. :shock: I was planning on the 505 stuff.

It should be just fine Karla, what are you going to baste first?

I've been using Elmers.

Will have to go look for the greenish can at WalMart this week.

Blog Entries
    Elizabeth--I wanted to practice free motion quilting on either "tranquility" or The Tree of Life pieces before I tackle the Cat's Stairway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast