Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: basting spray

I hate having to pin my quilts. I have seen this advertised as a way to bypass having to pin. Has anyone tried it? What do you think? Hancocks has it on sale right now and I am thinking of trying it. What do you all think?

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I tried it for the first time and I love it. I am certainly not an expert after one time but I was well pleased.

I love the basting spray! A little goes a long way. Spray very lightly. Be in a well ventilated area! Read the can. It is easy to smooth out wrinkles.

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    i tried it on my last 2 quilts after 4 years of pin basting and I am THRILLED with it! I can't believe I spent so many years pin basting when something so much easier and quicker was right there! I use the quilt basting spray brand (i believe that it is the "original" brand) which I purchased at Hancock Fabric for about 8.99 a can when it was on sale. I will use it again for other projects that I don't quilt on my frame.

Good luck!

I have used it for years. I am not going back to pinning. be careful of overspray, I spread "painting sheets" around the edges so I don't get any spray on the carpet, floor, etc. Lots of ventilation is important, don't use too much spray. It helps if you have a helper for lap size and larger. I have trained my DH very well as well as my sons girlfriend. They have even done a few with my watching!!! When you have two of you working it goes really fast and smooth. My favorite is the 505 spray, which unfortunately is a little more expensive.

I use 505 basting spray, but then I pin too.

I love basting spray. After being pinned in my everythings... I get mine at Michael's because it costs less there than at Joanns (and you get more). DH helps with with anything bigger than a baby blanket, and we spread newspapers out to catch the overspray. If any does get on the wood foor a little dawn on a dishrag and the sticky is completely gone.

I do lots of quilts and use the basting spray on all of them. I get puckers otherwise. I'd hate to be without it! I even used it on my daughters queen sized quilt with no prolem. Good luck :!:

OK. I'm going for it. I am using it on my bowling quilt. It's king size so this is the ultimate test. Thanks for all the input. You guys are the greatest.

Banned
    Where can I get it for the best price, and what is the best?

I use it all the time, the brand I use is 505. I just picked up 3 cans today, last time I ran out, had to wait two weeks for the shop to get more in. Now I'm stocking up! lol

I have just bought some, 505, but there are no instructions on the tin, please could someone explain what you spray, the batting , back or front.
    Many thanks
    Katherine
    Also do you have time to smooth the material out should need be before it sticks to firmly.

I tape my backing down, making sure it is taut, no ripples etc.t, then I lay my batting on, roll half the batting back, spray it then lay it back down on the backing. Pat it down and then do the same to the other half.

Lay your top on, making sure it's flat, then fold half back, spray the batting and lay the top back , again patting it down...do the same for the other half of the top. Large tops I get hubby to help me so that when we lay it on the sprayed batting we are keeping it taut so so no wrinkles form. :)

You don't need to spray a whole lot, just lightly spray over the area....lay out newspaper around to protect the area around your quilt from over spray.

Thank you Shadow, does it dry quickly, do you have to leave it flat for a while or is it ok to lift it up as soon as its all put together.
    Katherine

It's ready to go as soon as you have it sandwiched, do drying time needed. :)

Thank you again, Shadow.
    Katherine

An alternative way... Not that there is anything wrong with Shadow Dancer's way....

No tape method: I make two tubes one tube for the top and one tube for the bottom (roll them to look like snakes). Note the direction if your top isn't square rolling both the top and the bottom the same direction.

Now spread out your batting. Spray the batting and unroll the "BACK" tube pressing it to the batting as you go. When finished. Flip it over. So the batting is once again on the top. Spray the batting, and unroll the "Top" the same way as you did with the back. :)

Blog Entries
    I'm going to have to get some of that stuff

I started the bowling quilt sandwich but I wish I had waited til I got all your suggestions on how to do it. It would have been much easier. I still like it better than pinning. Took me a little longer than if I had waited and read your suggestions, but I love the way everything stays in place while I sew. I'll never go back to pinning again.

:D Sorry the advice part came to late. It's so hard to wait even a moment longer when you know you want to do it right now. Live and learn, that's the best any of us can do :) and I'm certain you learned. :D

I tried it once and my needle was very gummy after.

Maybe I sprayed to much. Though I thought I was spraying a very light coat.

I've been curious a long time about basting spray. Does it stay in until you wash it? I've gonna have a queen size to hand quilt soon. I'm thinking about getting a thick quilting hoop with a stand or a PVC frame. Either way, I'd like to try that basting spray. I don't have a lot of time to sit and quilt each day. It may take me months to finish hand quilting it. Will basting spray stay in that long or should I continue to pin or thread baste?

Blog Entries
    I take a long time hand quilting, a year or more, and have no problems with the basting spray holding. I have used Sullivan's on more than 7 quilts now, but I'm going to try 505 on the current one I'm piecing now.
    I used to use the "gun" to tack the quilt, but I kept poking my hand, and, Oh, I don't know, I just didn't like it. It took too long and hurt my back. This only takes minutes.

It sounds like a good thing to try. I might have to make a secret trip to JoAnn's when I'm out Christmas shopping for hubby and the kids.

I will have to try this. I am going to go to Shadow's and let her do the first one for me - I am a visual person. I'll be there in the spring Shadow!!!

Thanks for such great directions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast