Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
basting spray >

basting spray

basting spray

Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM

When I am layering quilt I spray the bottom fabric, put the batting on (warm and natural mostly), spray the batting and then put the quilt top on...I haven't tried spraying the top instead of the batting, so will try that next time. I only use 505 basting spray, it never gums up my machine and I have spray basted without opening the windows...which I have Lupus, and believe me, lots of odors "get to me"...I buy the 505 at sewforless.com..I get the large cans for the price of the small ones elsewhere, or even cheaper...great customer service, too..last time I bought a 6 pack of it, here is a link if anyone is interested:
http://www.sewforless.com/item/505_T...OUND_ONLY/7391
Regards,
K
PS, No, I don't work for anyone affiliated with the 505 spray..but maybe they could send me a can of it every now and again for the free advertising, eh??..LOL
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
When I am layering quilt I spray the bottom fabric, put the batting on (warm and natural mostly), spray the batting and then put the quilt top on...I haven't tried spraying the top instead of the batting, so will try that next time. I only use 505 basting spray, it never gums up my machine and I have spray basted without opening the windows...which I have Lupus, and believe me, lots of odors "get to me"...I buy the 505 at sewforless.com..I get the large cans for the price of the small ones elsewhere, or even cheaper...great customer service, too..last time I bought a 6 pack of it, here is a link if anyone is interested:
http://www.sewforless.com/item/505_T...OUND_ONLY/7391
Regards,
K
PS, No, I don't work for anyone affiliated with the 505 spray..but maybe they could send me a can of it every now and again for the free advertising, eh??..LOL
I buy my 505 from them too!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM

thanks, I did not know this.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM

Good tip. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I keep hearing that and I 've not noticed any difference.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Yes, I have been doing this for years. Batting is porous, and I could never figure out why I would want to get it sprayed into all those tiny pockets and hope the fabric catches the basting and sticks. I find it so easy to lay down the batting, clip my backing to my large piece of cardboard, and spray the fabric lightly all over. Then I lay that on the batting and hand press smooth. Then I use my heavy Rowenta (cold) and go over the fabric to smooth it out even more. Then I turn this over and spray the front fabric and place that on the batting, spreading smooth as I did the backing. (If I am doing a quilt, I have tarps spread out on the floor and spread out the fabric batting on 3 tables I clamp together, and spray it. Then lay the batting on the fabric.) I find if I spray the fabric, it is easier to pull that up and reposition. It is as if I really starched the dickens out of the fabric and I need to put only a few pins and pinmoors in the quilt. And all I did was use very little basting spray. No movement whatsoever.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM

I used 505 spray on a small quilt I made, and sprayed on the fabric. It soaked in a bit, and left spots in the fabric. I tried washing, but it wouldn't come out. I'm thinking that possibility might be why they suggest spraying on the batting.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM

I also use 505 and really like it. I have always sprayed on the top back and not the batting( do not know where I learned this). I lay the top on the batting,( right side up) pull the top half way down , spray, pull back and smooth in position and then do the same to thre other side. i also buy my 505 for Sew for less but I got a case (12 cans) for about $153 with free shipping. Sound like a lot of money but that was about 1 1/2yr ago and I still have 3 cans left. This stuff seems to go a long way.I really like it because there is little odor. As for a spot on the top maybe you did not shake can good enough or were holding it too close to fabric or at the wrong angle.