Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Basting Sprays

I HAVE USED THE Sulky; it is gentle and yes, it is odorless. Expensive; I bought it at JoAnns with a 50% off coupon. I am on my 2nd can. Now I want to try the 505 since everyone is raving about it. Where do you buy it?

Blog Entries
    I think Hancocks is where I bought my 505. I just saw some on a website for $10.39 a can, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. If I find it, I'll post. Seems I paid around $13-14 for 505 at Hancocks.

Blog Entries
    Found it...It is at Quiltinaday.com under *notions*. I hope the link works... http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/notions.asp

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    505 is what I always use too, but I also bought these ratcheting clamps at home depot and now sandwich on my table much easier and no back pain!!

They cost about $6 each, I have 4 and want 2 more.
    I use the extra large binder clips like you find in office supply stores. They are usually packed by the dozen and are much cheaper than the ratcheting clamps. I think Wal Mart may have them too. Work great too.

Quote Originally Posted by LUV2QLT
    I appreciate all the responses to my questions - now a couple more questions on the same subject - does the basting spray work OK with the polyester high loft batting? That's what I have already purchased and prepared for this current quilt. This is a full size quilt - does the basting spray work OK on that size - or should it just be reserved for smaller projects?
    I have used the 505 on polyester batting for a queen-size quilt and it was fine.

505 will work with polyester. It's the best. No clogging of your machine or needle.

Thanks everybody - now I know not to fear using 505 with polyester - so I don't have to change my batting preferences! Waiting for my order to show up from 'sewforless.com' - a 17 oz. can for $13.49 (+ S&H) - will keep you posted on how it works for me - or should I say, how I work with it! ;o)

Really don't want to sound like a know-it-all but I have spray basted over 100 quilts and have learned some tricks. I put down a big flannel sheet on my king size bed then spread the batting on that. Next I arrange the backing on the batting, pull back half the backing, spray, and smooth backing back. Makes no difference if you spray the backing or the batting, same results. Repeat for second half. Flip project over, arrange quilt top on batting, and follow the same procedure. I mostly use the June Taylor and purchase it from Joann's with a 40% off coupon. Have never had a gummed up needle and the layers stay together nicely for a LOOOONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieG
    Not a fan of basting spray. I have only used June Tailor. I had some overspray on my tile floors. The nozzle kept getting clogged, so it dripped on the tile and grout. It totally ruined my floor and I can't get it out of the grout.
    I used June Tailor also and was concerned when the overspray ended up on my table. I used rubbing alcohol to dissolve it and it cleaned right up without leaving any gumminess behind. This might work on your floor.

I have used the June Taylor brand of spray bast and am very happy with the results. I first used it on a wall hanging for my daughter-in-law and am now using it on a large quilt. I am having much better results than I did with pinning. I recommend a painter's drop cloth for protecting against overspary. It works great and is safe. I use a plastic one but one that is heavy enough it does not tear easily. When done, I just fold it up and put it a way for next time. I too find it much better than crawling around on the floor to pin baste as I have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by LUV2QLT
    I appreciate all the responses to my questions - now a couple more questions on the same subject - does the basting spray work OK with the polyester high loft batting? That's what I have already purchased and prepared for this current quilt. This is a full size quilt - does the basting spray work OK on that size - or should it just be reserved for smaller projects?
    I love 505 as many here know :lol: I just recently used it on a top that was poly cotton and a poly batting....I had no problems. I havent quilted it yet but it is still "stuck like glue"......It is a queen size.....I love, love, love 505!!

Ditter

Blog Entries
    I tried June Taylor and had a mess with sticky stuff all over . I hear 505 is good and got some in Paducha quilt show. You may want to try the iron on batting....Fusiboo by Fairfield and Hobbs. Email the companies and they will send you samples. I've tried it and it's neat stuff. No spray, No pins, No basting. Just sandwich and steam iron.Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I will follow this thread, thank you

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love the spray bast, just so exspensive. God bless. Penny

I really like using basting sprays. But not June Tailor. I wound up throwing the can away after trying it once.

Not a fan of basting spray. I have only used June Tailor. I had some overspray on my tile floors. The nozzle kept getting clogged, so it dripped on the tile and grout. It totally ruined my floor and I can't get it out of the grout.

The only time I have used basting spray was on an outdoor banner that I was doing 12" appliqued lettering for. Don't remember the brand but it did clog the needle and stick to anything that came near it. For a project like that if I had to do it again I would use fusible web instead of the spray. However I'm wanting to try the 505 for layering a quilt.

I spray basted a king+ (it kept getting bigger as I went!) once.... on the driveway, on a blue tarp from Home Depot. Sprayed a section at a time..... Walked on it with sock feet to push it all together. Worked fabulously and I've never used any other basting method since. I'm 6' tall and "fluffy, not fat" and getting down on the floor for a couple hours just doesn't appeal to me!

I do mine outside..in cooler weather, in the garage.

We sat up two sawhorses and lay a piece of plywood on top (or an old door, whatever is handy),
    .............cover with a sheet (as mentioned before, throw in washer after use,
    spray comes right out)
    ............and spray away.

no mess in the house......easy on the back, and if someone is around, get some help!

I spray baste mine on top of my double bed. My knees and back just can't handle getting down on the floor anymore.
    I've only used June Tailor and 505. Love the 505 but it sure is expensive. I buy it when I can.

I get an old king size flat sheet that I bought from a resale shop and cover my mattress with it (I take my blanket and sheets off so I can just use the mattress).
    I can pin the quilt layers taught onto my mattress as I spray and assemble.

I've seen a video of someone covering a wall with newspaper or painters drop cloth, and taping the backing to it, spraying it, pressing the batting to it, spraying it, then pressing the quilt to it....all vertically.
    Next time I'm going to try that.

I have used it on small projects with no problem, wouldn't hesitate to use it on a large one, can't crawl around on that floor anymore. Someone said it should dry for 24 hrs, so it doesn't gum up your needle, I didn't. I don't think I would use it on a baby quilt, washed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin mimi
    I really like using basting sprays. But not June Tailor. I wound up throwing the can away after trying it once.

I have used June Taylor and have been very happy with it. I didn't have any of the problems you two seemed to have.I did use a painter's drop cloth to guard against overspray.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    505 will work with polyester. It's the best. No clogging of your machine or needle.
    I used the June Taylor with polyester batting with no problem. I had not problems with it gumming up my machine or needle.

Hi everybody - I've been gone since Thursday morning on a quilt retreat, just got back tonight (Sunday) - didn't get as much done as I would have liked, never do, even at home, but had a good time with friends! My 505 basting spray arrived while I was gone - as did some fabric I ordered. So will give the spray a try sometime later this week (hopefully) and let you all know how I managed with it! Thanks everyone for all your hints, tips & suggestions!

I love 505. I basted a wall hanging the old thread and needle way, was not happy with the result. Pulled the basting out then spray basted it and loved the flat, secure layers. It didn't separate and was easy to hand quilt.

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    Two questions on 505.....

1. Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby carries 505? I know they are higher on most things but I do have a 40% coupon right now, just didn't know if they carried it and since that's all I need didn't want to make the trip if they didn't carry it.

2. How far will one can go? In other words, will one can do a queen size quilt or do I need to get 2 cans?

Thank you for your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast