Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting >

Basting

Basting

Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 AM

Default Basting

I always have basted my three layers together by hand, crawling around on my hands and knees in the library with the furniture moved. Is there an easier way to do this? I don't want to use a basting gun, I am afraid my material will become snagged. I also considered rolling it up in a jelly roll fashion and letting out a bit at a time and pinning before basting, but once again, I am down on the floor, plus you cannot start in the middle and work your way out to the edges. Any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 AM

tape to a wall and you can spray baste. I have only done it on the floor but it works taping the backing spray put batting then spray then put top on. there was even a post on here about it. with a video tut. hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Oh... do try spray basting.. I found it to be life changing.... I no longer dread the quilt sandwich preperation.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM

I agree with the spray basting tips. If you want to try another method, check out Sharon Shaumber's basting method on YouTube. Sorry, I'm not good at links, but it's easily searchable on the YouTube site.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 AM

Yes, do try Sharon Shaumber's basting method. It is great! It takes a little time, but does a wonderful job.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I am thinking of using the spray basting on a wall idea. I haven't before due to allergies. It was suggested to tape the back to the garage door, spray and put the batt on, spray the batt and add the top. I think I might be able to do that since it will all be outside. I will have to wait for nice weather to try it.
I have been using the Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt and I do like that. I put on knee pads and iron it on the old carpet in the basement. It works really well with no puckers on the back. There are lots of options to try, good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Spray basting is the way to go, in my experience. For those with allergies, I think it's worth doing it outdoors and maybe getting someone else to do the actual spraying; it's that easy.

I have tried spray basting on a wall, on the floor, and on a table. By far, doing it on a table is the easiest. I have a community center where I can go, but it's also inexpensive to purchase a pair of sawhorses and a slab of plywood at the hardware store to do it outside on a driveway (or in a garage with the door open). This can be stored in a small space when not in use.

I found the wall tiring for my arms, and also found it harder to get everything lined up. It would be my last choice of the three different ways to spray baste.

Other tips: (1) lay down a large sheet to catch any overspray, then toss sheet in the laundry. (2) Smooth out backing first, then position backing. Once centered, turn down half of the batting and spray/smooth that half first. Then flip the other half of the batting back and spray/smooth that half. This is *much* easier than spraying the entire backing first and then trying to center the batting on top.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Great tips-I also can no longer get on the floor-DH set me up with a long tressle table (two, actually)side by side and placed a sheet of plywood on it (which I used masking tape all around the edges first), then I use giant bull-clips (plastic) to hold the layers down. If it is a large quilt, I start at one edge of the quilt, baste what is on the table, then just un-clip the shift the rest of the quilt to the top, re-clip the edges and finish basting. I have never gotten a wrinkle-just be careful the backing is smoothed out well and clipped. Sometimes DH will help me on the other side of the table to clip. I used spray basting for smaller quilts, but not a big one - yet.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Oh, one other tip for spray basting. It helps avoid overspray if you aim the spray from the outside edge towards the center of the quilt.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM

i go to my local library, ask if there is someone in the conference room, put 4 big folding tables together and spread out... sometimes people come in and watch. that's okay, i love to share my love of quilting and i get to sit and do most of the work ... after making the sandwich i can sit and do most of the basting... if the rooms are not reserved, they don't mind ...