Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basting

Blog Entries
    My DH was watching me baste with safety pins yesterday. The quilt is 102' x 118" so as you can imagine, I used alot of safety pins. DH looked at me for a minute and asked " Why do you use so many? Isn't there a faster, easier way to do that?" Well, I was dumbfounded. I knew he supported my passion, but, didn't realize, he actually paid attention. I answered " I suppose, but, it would require basting spray, which, stinks, and I really don't have the space to do it in here and have proper ventalation." I have always used safety pins, and other than chipping fingernails, I don't mind it. I have never basted with thread and am leary of the sprays. Do any of you have other suggestions, as to basting quilts?

I only use the safety pins. I don't like the idea of spraying more chemicals on quilts or in my house.

I stick with the pins or pay my LA'er to do it. I try not to use unnecessary chemicals, so the spray is out.

I've only used just the safety pins(that's how my DM does it too). I'm sure if I used the spray, I'd find it's easier it and probably like it(from other comments on this board), but I have bad lungs.

I pin all my big quilts...I use spray on the small ones (twin size or smaller).

I use to have a basting gun, but I never used it...I gave it away to another quilter, so I don't know if those work or not, maybe someone else could speak about those.

There's a thread going on currently about basting guns - I use mine all the time
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87219-1.htm

I have always pinned and basted. Don't like the chemicals in the sprays and would not use them. Now I wonder if I could just use more pins and not baste????

I used to pin. I now spray.

Have you seen the video by Sharon Schamber on Hand Basting?
    I think it looks easier but haven't tried it yet. did buy the boards
    today at menards.

Quote Originally Posted by sosew4fun
    Have you seen the video by Sharon Schamber on Hand Basting?
    I think it looks easier but haven't tried it yet. did buy the boards
    today at menards.
    I was in one of Sharon's classes at Quilting in the Desert and found it was very easy to hand baste even with my hand arthritis. If I wasn't doing a quilt with a LA I'd consider either spray basting or this. BTW, the 505 doesn't bother my asthma and worked really well.

ali

thats the method i use. I have very good results with it.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    I am lucky enough to have a Gracie Z44 frame, so I do one of two ways: Big quilts, I load onto my Gracie and use the water soluble threads to baste horizontal & vertical lines... I also place a few safety pins at certain points, it keeps me on target, because it marks quadrants of the quilt for my mental tracking.

Smaller quilts, I just lay them on the floor, and use the safetypin method, from center outward... then FMQ and remove pins as needed.

Haven't used the sprays, have critters that would be too sensitive to the chem

I am a believer in Sharon Schamber's method with the boards. I basted a full-size quilt with her method and had absolutely no problems. Easiest way to baste a large quilt, in my opinion.

tmg
    Quote Originally Posted by mommessy
    I am a believer in Sharon Schamber's method with the boards. I basted a full-size quilt with her method and had absolutely no problems. Easiest way to baste a large quilt, in my opinion.
    what is her method or how do we search it?

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

tmg
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
    Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

This is the Sharon Schamber method I use with the boards.

I used to love spray basting but then I realized that the overspray got on the floor and every place else and it's really hard to get up so I quit doing it except for smaller pieces that I could do outdoors. Do love how the spray works though. I've used it for embroidery and put the pieces in my suitcase and travelled all over with them and they really stay together.

Has anyone ever heard of using hair spray to baste? Particularly Aqua Net hairspray?

I do believe, if pinning or even any other way of
    basting a quilt other than spray basting, I would
    not do too many quilts. For those of you who think
    spray basting stinks or bothers your allergies, use
    a mask. That will help. Or walk away from it for
    a few minutes and then go back and spray some
    more. Do small areas at a time.
    I was thrilled to no end when I found out about
    spray basting!

I have used my basting gun for a long time and am very happy with the results. The only problem I had was when I needed to change the needle, I wound up ordering one from a notions supply house. It is certainly quicker than pinning or basting by hand. I have never used the spray.

Quote Originally Posted by mommessy
    I just finished a full/queen size charm quilt for my daughter using Ms. Schamber's method. I used 4" by 72" boards. It worked like a charm. I am by myself with arthritis. This made the whole thing manageable and kept the layers taut, no rumples. Using relatively close basting it was much easier to put the quilt through my machine. I will definitely use this method again.

I just posted these pictures of a quilt 108x120 that I spray basted, all by myself, in less than one hour, on my king size bed. It was completely quilted on my domestic machine. No gummy needles/machine, just spray sparingly and let dry.

Civil War 2010 BOM, spray basted
    Name:  Attachment-153144.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  69.8 KB

The back, no puckers/pleats
    Name:  Attachment-153145.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  55.9 KB

I own more pins than the manufacturer, and then I discovered basting spray. It took me two table runners to get it down to simple, but now I love it, i wouldn't pin another quilt unless I was in a real bind and couldn't get the spray

Blog Entries
    when i baste for quilting i use needle and thread, it seems lots faster to me than all those pins and they are such a pain to take back out...threads i just clip a know and pull and it's out. i also hate the sprays...but i don't hand quilt all that often so i don't have to deal with it that often.

Blog Entries
    I also hand-quilt on a hoop. I baste with pins, on the
    floor, but do not close the pins. When it is all pinned, I carefully movethe quilt to the ironing board or other comfortable surface and close the pins. I always thread baste around the outside edge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast