Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting woes...any ideas? >

Basting woes...any ideas?

Basting woes...any ideas?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:53 PM

I don't like 505. It doesn't always stick. I use Sullivan's and love it and it is less expensive.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:11 AM

Did you fold or otherwise handle the quilts after spray basting? If handled a lot, perhaps that also made them unstick? I don't spray baste as I hate the fumes and the way the glue seems to adhere to everything around it. I pin baste fairly closely using a large table or sometimes a bed with cutting mats on top. I have pin basted more than one before quilting and, whenever I do, I always let them lie flat until I get to them.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:15 AM

I use basting spray for every quilt... going on 80 quilts...I've used 505 a few times, but keep going back to June Taylor. I think it's a little stickier, and I can use less spray to get the same outcome. I use a poly blend batting, and spray the batting, not the quilt top or back. I've noticed problems when I use smooth-backed minky for my backing. I simply won't stick sometimes. Then extra pins are needed.

Several months ago, I started a new can of spray and it simply wouldn't stick. I tried spraying some on my hand, and found it cold from the propellant, and oily, but not sticky at all. I returned this can to the store, and they happily replaced it with a new can from the shelf.

I hope you figure out what combination of fabric, batting and pray caused your problems. I love basting with spray. If I had to pin every quilt, I'd probably quit quilting.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 AM

I'm wondering, maybe next time try going over the entire quilt with a hot iron. Perhaps that would reactivate the adhesive. Plus, it might smooth out some wrinkles that have developed from being folded and sitting for awhile.

~ C