Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik pattern suggestion?? >

Batik pattern suggestion??

Batik pattern suggestion??

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM

I am currently working on a log cabin made with batiks.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jersey Gal
So very happy for you. What a friend! None of my friends sew, or quilt, so I don't ever expect a fabric windfall.
Funny you mention that, because I have never known anyone who machine sewed ever! My family only did hand work, embroidery, crochet, knitting, etc. I had a major love of those beautiful fabrics in the store, where I would spend hours looking, but had no clue what they were or used for! I decided it was ridiculous to love fabric so much and not have a clue what to do with it, so I went out and bought a machine.

I actually met this friend at the dealer where I bought my machine. I was taking a class, where I paid to be completely humiliated, and she brushed them out of the way and helped me. We just hit it off and been friends ever since..she is 25 yrs. my senior.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm working on a "Turning Twenty" quilt right now. It's from a set of batik fat quarters that DH spied in the fabric store and he said he was buying them for me to make him a quilt! (How great was that!) Since I'm fairly inexperienced I'm doing the turning twenty and it's coming out spectacular!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM

I picked up a copy of the latest QUILT magazine today and it has the perfect pattern for you! It's the August/September 2011 issue and the quilt is called "Rhythm in Blues". It's shown in all blue batiks but would be gorgeous with multicolors. I like patterns that leave the batiks in pretty big pieces to show off their designs, and this one does....
Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM

I have several pairs of Bali-Pops I wanted to turn into a queen sized quilts, but I didn't really like the patterns ... until I saw the Jan/Feb 2011 McCall's Quilting magazine issue - pages 57-59, "Architectural Gem." There are 4-patches, stacked rectangles ("Chinese Coins") and pieced columns of squares.

To give you a heads up about fabric requirements, the pattern calls for:
2 packages of Bali-Pops (a single package is the equivalent of a jelly roll - 40 strips measuring 2 1/2" by the width of the fabric (41"-43" typically) OR 4 3/4-5 yards
4 1/2 yards sashing fabric
1 1/2 yard for part of the pieced border
Backing
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM

I'd also recommend YELLOW BRICK ROAD (Atkinson Designs, comes in several sizes) or a LOG CABIN quilt using batiks. These are easy to construct, can be done in assembly line fashion, and will blend just about ANY combination of fabrics beautifully.

The blocks are also larger, so the final assembly can be broken up into units sized to accommodate your narrower) throat sewing machine.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm green with envy! How nice.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Ok, I have been studying all sorts of quilts the past few days and here is what I know my tastes are so far..lol. I do love scrappy quilts, but I would need a neutral/ light contrast to use with them. I like the "Pop" factor:) I also think that I like a fairly orderly scrappy quilt...if that makes sense? Like log cabins are scrappy but they usually go light to dark, 9-P is usually set next to a solid in a pattern. The turning 20 confuses me, because I guess that I am looking for a pattern, and it seems to just be scattered. Ok, I'm weird..I blame it on my undiagnosed ADD that I MUST have, as there is no other explanation for some of my quirks! lol

Ok, I have another deep question, of another topic, that I am going to post. I am sure many of you will also have advice for that as well!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the tips on the magazines! I will see if I can find the older issues :)
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Originally Posted by ckcowl
WOW! i am never in the right place at the right time!
what a haul...
there are a few book out there specifically for batik quilts but i think pretty much any quilt pattern is wonderful in Batiks.

one year i signed up to participate in the lqs' saturday sampler program-
you go once a month receive a block kit- take the finished block in the next month to get the next one...
anyway- we used the Alex Anderson Book- Keep Quilting with Alex Anderson---it is star blocks.
the shop offered it in 2 color ways- 1 batiks - one 30's fabrics- i decided to do them both---plus i pulled from my stash and made the same blocks in flannels and bright novelty prints -- Yup--made 4 quilts from that program that year---
each one is AWESOME...each one is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the next- it really is amazing how blocks change with color/fabric choices....
be adventurous-
visit a place like quilters cache and make sampler blocks with your batiks...
or
join the June fabshophop--the quilt blocks being found in the hop would be FABULOUS in batiks!
Thanks for the ideas! You know, I signed up for a Thangles BOM that is all different stars and I believe that you have enough to make 2 quilts! Maybe I will try it! Thanks again :)
Here are a couple I have made in the last 5 weeks for graduation gifts for my grands

Purple Passion
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206255[/ATTACH]

Sticky Buns
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206256[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206249.jpe   attachment-206250.jpe