Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Batik pattern suggestion??

  1. #1
    Senior Member Just-Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere on a hilltop :)
    Posts
    508
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have never made a traditional quilt yet, just rag quilts, mainly because I have a small throated machine...and well, I am just clueless really. Anyway, I recently acquired 2 kitchen garbage bags full of batiks that someone didn't want them...for free :). Yes, 2 full garbage bags! Funny thing is, it didn't even make a dent in her stash of just batiks!

    I would like your ideas on a beginner-friendly, batik-complimentary quilt pattern to use them with. I have all varying colors, patterns, etc., so keep that in mind. I just know that some patterns may not work as well with batiks, but I know you all will have brilliant ideas. I plan on using some of it for appliqué, but I am sure I will have enough scraps for that!

    Thanks for your help and have a fantabulous day!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Just-Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere on a hilltop :)
    Posts
    508
    Blog Entries
    3
    Wow! I am now a regular here!! I am excited! :lol:

  3. #3
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    2,152
    Blog Entries
    1

  4. #4
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Congratulations on your regular status!! :D:D
    I can't think of any pattern that wouldn't work with batiks.
    Wow, you struck gold!! :D

  5. #5
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,171
    Blog Entries
    1
    WOW! i am never in the right place at the right time!
    what a haul...
    there are a few book out there specifically for batik quilts but i think pretty much any quilt pattern is wonderful in Batiks.

    one year i signed up to participate in the lqs' saturday sampler program-
    you go once a month receive a block kit- take the finished block in the next month to get the next one...
    anyway- we used the Alex Anderson Book- Keep Quilting with Alex Anderson---it is star blocks.
    the shop offered it in 2 color ways- 1 batiks - one 30's fabrics- i decided to do them both---plus i pulled from my stash and made the same blocks in flannels and bright novelty prints -- Yup--made 4 quilts from that program that year---
    each one is AWESOME...each one is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the next- it really is amazing how blocks change with color/fabric choices....
    be adventurous-
    visit a place like quilters cache and make sampler blocks with your batiks...
    or
    join the June fabshophop--the quilt blocks being found in the hop would be FABULOUS in batiks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member RUSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the middle of an Oklahoma wheat field
    Posts
    962
    Wow, what good luck. Like many of us, your benefactor must be a true fabricholic - in the extreme.

    For a beginner (or anyone!) Ohio Star would be a good pattern. After collecting batiiks for a number of years, that's my plan :) Here's a free, relative easy pattern:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OhioStarBlock.html

    BTW, if you haven't checked out quilterscache, it's an awesome site :thumbup:

  7. #7
    Super Member twistedstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,024
    This is a great pattern for using lots of different patterns and colors. If you search Boxed Squares in the search engine on this board you will see many different quilts made by members of the board.

    http://www.maryquilts.com/boxed-squares/

    This is another pattern that looks great in batiks.

    http://www.quiltville.com/striptwist.shtml

    I love batiks and they're almost always my fabric of choice. If I were you I'd just find a pattern I love and make it in batiks. I don't think there are many patterns that wouldn't look good done with batiks. Have fun!

  8. #8
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    I made a quilt with moda Marbles and a batik border- I think it would work well for all batiks too. It was very easy and the pattern was in a library book!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44145-1.htm

  9. #9
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,481
    Wow good luck.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jennalyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    478
    I would highly recommend the Bento Box! It's an easier pattern that looks just amazing with scrappy batiks.

  11. #11
    Super Member sahm4605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    2,240
    I would be happy to take some of those batiks off of your hands. :-) i would also pay shipping. Just about any pattern works well in batiks. it is just your tastes. and it is about color, texture, and fabric placement that makes one style of fabric work over another. if you want a really really easy one a batik jewel box is a good beginner quilt top and you can make it any size that you want. http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa..._box_quilt.htm
    I have one that I just finished with white as a background. I will have to post some pics soon. if you post some pics of your batiks then we might be able to give better pattern suggestions and we always love to see peoples lucky fabric finds. (PS can I get the name and number of this lady? I would love to get a couple of bags of batiks too. hehe j/k.)

  12. #12
    Super Member MDMPanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,456
    Ooooh...I'm so jealous!!! I would also suggest using the "search" tool above and look up "Batiks" or "Batik quilts" to get some ideas. There are some gorgeous ones done by members on the board!! I'm actually looking at two today that I think might be relatively easy...both were found on the Hoffman site some time ago, so I'm not sure if they are still available for free.
    They are : "Desert Nine-Patch" and "Jungle Rain" both by Karen Montgomery and would lend themselves nicely to a variety of batik fabrics within one quilt.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    85
    I too am starting to like the Batiks, thinking of doing a star pattern in them...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Just-Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere on a hilltop :)
    Posts
    508
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    WOW! i am never in the right place at the right time!
    what a haul...
    there are a few book out there specifically for batik quilts but i think pretty much any quilt pattern is wonderful in Batiks.

    one year i signed up to participate in the lqs' saturday sampler program-
    you go once a month receive a block kit- take the finished block in the next month to get the next one...
    anyway- we used the Alex Anderson Book- Keep Quilting with Alex Anderson---it is star blocks.
    the shop offered it in 2 color ways- 1 batiks - one 30's fabrics- i decided to do them both---plus i pulled from my stash and made the same blocks in flannels and bright novelty prints -- Yup--made 4 quilts from that program that year---
    each one is AWESOME...each one is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the next- it really is amazing how blocks change with color/fabric choices....
    be adventurous-
    visit a place like quilters cache and make sampler blocks with your batiks...
    or
    join the June fabshophop--the quilt blocks being found in the hop would be FABULOUS in batiks!
    Thanks for the ideas! You know, I signed up for a Thangles BOM that is all different stars and I believe that you have enough to make 2 quilts! Maybe I will try it! Thanks again :)

  15. #15
    Senior Member Just-Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere on a hilltop :)
    Posts
    508
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    Wow, what good luck. Like many of us, your benefactor must be a true fabricholic - in the extreme.

    For a beginner (or anyone!) Ohio Star would be a good pattern. After collecting batiiks for a number of years, that's my plan :) Here's a free, relative easy pattern:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OhioStarBlock.html

    BTW, if you haven't checked out quilterscache, it's an awesome site :thumbup:
    OMG..if you only knew how extreme! These were going in the trash! I also got a box full of books and another garbage bag full of fabric a while back. She owns several homes...one house, the entire second story of the farm house is all sewing and mainly where she keeps her flannels and wool felt...that's all! Then her house here she has the great room as her sewing room/ full of fab fabs as well as the huge room next door to it...that houses more flannels, batiks, and wool. She swears she is giving up sewing soon, as she has been there/ done that with all aspects of it. I will help her out! lol

  16. #16
    Senior Member Just-Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere on a hilltop :)
    Posts
    508
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks, everyone, for all of the ideas, sites, etc. I didn't know they were that universal really. I am sure these will keep me busy for a bit!

    Yes, I am very fortunate to have a friend such as this and I am sure there will be tons more :) The funniest thing about her, really, is that she is not a quilter, but owns more quilting fabric than your local Joann's and then some. She makes the most beautiful coats from home dec fabric you will ever see in your life! I am getting lessons soon! Yay!

  17. #17
    Super Member jitkaau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,119
    Look on the Hoffman site. There are heaps of batik quilts for free.

  18. #18
    Senior Member 19angel52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    593
    My vote is a Turning Twenty pattern! I've got a top completed in my UFO basket and it's all batiks and it's LOVELY!

  19. #19
    Super Member Minnisewta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,014
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-93128-1.htm#2336449
    Here are 2 quilts I made with batiks. The first is called Hanky Panky and the 2nd is an aardvark pattern called Borialis (sp) The first was easy the 2nd just took time but was fun.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Quiltntime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    608
    I make quilted bowls wth batik fabric. They come out beautifully.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    52
    I live in south central Missouri, if you need any help getting rid of her stuff when she really gives it up I have a pickup and a stock trailer, however no one who loves fabric ever gives it up.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cameron Park, Ca
    Posts
    46
    My first quilt was a Lucky Star by Terry Attkinson.It was made out of batiks and turned out beautiful.
    Welcome to the group, there are a lot of great people here.

  23. #23
    Super Member WMUTeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portage, Michigan
    Posts
    2,396
    I can hardly wait to get home for my week-end of quilting. I want to try the Boxed Squares. I have a grocery bag of scraps that I want to use up this summer and this pattern gives me a new option. Thanks for the links and good ideas.

  24. #24
    Super Member caspharm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,885
    It sounds like she has her own and now your "store." Enjoy the fabric.

    Actually, batiks seem to work well for any pattern. I am currently doing a BOM at the LQS, but I didn't like their fabrics, so I am using batiks instead. The blocks are looking good (flowers and baskets).

    Quote Originally Posted by Just-Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    Wow, what good luck. Like many of us, your benefactor must be a true fabricholic - in the extreme.

    For a beginner (or anyone!) Ohio Star would be a good pattern. After collecting batiiks for a number of years, that's my plan :) Here's a free, relative easy pattern:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OhioStarBlock.html

    BTW, if you haven't checked out quilterscache, it's an awesome site :thumbup:
    OMG..if you only knew how extreme! These were going in the trash! I also got a box full of books and another garbage bag full of fabric a while back. She owns several homes...one house, the entire second story of the farm house is all sewing and mainly where she keeps her flannels and wool felt...that's all! Then her house here she has the great room as her sewing room/ full of fab fabs as well as the huge room next door to it...that houses more flannels, batiks, and wool. She swears she is giving up sewing soon, as she has been there/ done that with all aspects of it. I will help her out! lol

  25. #25
    Senior Member Jersey Gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Garden State
    Posts
    506
    So very happy for you. What a friend! None of my friends sew, or quilt, so I don't ever expect a fabric windfall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.