Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Batik pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by squeakie
    i love all the advice i am starting a quilt for my granddaughter and it is all batiks and will be appliqued elephants...yes..batik elephants!!
    Will you be 'seeing' PINK elephants? LOL! Your quilt will be soooo cute. I LOVE elephants...those and cuttle fish are my FAV critters!
    OK, back to the subject. I LOVE batiks too. They make the most beautiful flowers, leaves, and everything else 'painterly.' There is just nothing else like them. SO pretty. I used them on nautical star pattern...bright pattern "exploding" on background like space (dark blue with lights). Kinda like, "Let there be light" or at least was what I was trying to capture...best as could.

I got an email of the MOST batiks I've ever seen from "Seawatch." One thing I do NOT need is more fabric...but since everyone here is discussing batiks seemed like I should tell you what I got in 'the mail.' I've know nothing whatsoever about the company, never ordered from them in my life. I don't even know how they knew my email address...but they certainly have a load of batiks, all I know.

I have become a batik-o-holic. I love batiks. I do find they run if not treated properly before using. i use a very sharp, very thin needle. I've machine quilted a king size quilt on my Janome 6600 and have not had a problem with the thread breaking. I've got three batik projects I can't wait to start.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    Does anyone have any input on working with batik fabrics? I am going to be attempting it sometime soon, and I am aware that they are tightly woven fabrics and should use a sharp needle. Any advice is welcome.
    The only 'con' I've run into with batiks is that they are so similar on each side, I sometimes sew or cut a piece backwards. If it makes a difference in the pattern, be sure to mark them somehow to keep them straight.

I have just started using batiks. I like the way they work, but like all fabrics, I wash (rinse) all my fabrics before I start. I do like using them for backing on my baby quilts, but you really have to look around to find them in my local. Many stores will have a few bolts, but I am getting ready to start a quilt using 10 different fabrics and I thought I was going to poop out before I found all the colors I needed. I guess I'll start figureing the price of a tank of gas in the quilt cost!!!

Virginialbrown, Thank you so much for ans. my question. I will call the Quilt Shops to find out if they carry Retagne, before I go searching. Thanks again. Happy Quilting. :-)
    Gramsielu

Amen to the quote from the Bible.
    gramsielu

Batiks are great. I use them in a picture quilt where they are used in trees and mountains and water... I used it for backing just once and my machine quilting looked great on the front side but the back looked real funny (like it had big holes where the stitches went in and like the thread layed on the back) But it was pretty but I won't use it for backing again. I know it is because the cotton fabric is mercantized (which means it is spun several times to make it receptive to dyes so that why it sometimes feels like silk and almost shiny....)I have used this type of fabric when dying my own.. the color comes out very rich and pure.. but it is some times a bear to sew....

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    My son is getting married in September, and my best friend, so incredibly loving and generous, has offered to give them a gorgeous queen sized quilt she made from batiks. Unfortunately, she has told me she never bothers to prewash her fabrics. Looks like I will be presenting the happy couple with some Retayne or color catcher sheets and the advice to use them once it needs laundering. My question is: previous posts have advised 1 tsp Retayne per yard of fabric for pretreating. How much would be used for a queen sized quilt made with a thin all cotton batting?

I would assue 10 yaards just to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    My son is getting married in September, and my best friend, so incredibly loving and generous, has offered to give them a gorgeous queen sized quilt she made from batiks. Unfortunately, she has told me she never bothers to prewash her fabrics. Looks like I will be presenting the happy couple with some Retayne or color catcher sheets and the advice to use them once it needs laundering. My question is: previous posts have advised 1 tsp Retayne per yard of fabric for pretreating. How much would be used for a queen sized quilt made with a thin all cotton batting?
    Retayne is used prior to construction, Use sythropol once the project is completed. The instructions for Retayne and Sythropol are different so make sure to read.
    Sythropol will keep any dye that is shed in the wash from bonding to the fabrics.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'm leaving on vacation now for a few days, so thanks also in advance to anyone else who has suggestions. I will find and read them when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'm leaving on vacation now for a few days, so thanks also in advance to anyone else who has suggestions. I will find and read them when I return.
    Have a safe trip

The only "con" I know, is be careful where you buy your batiks.
    Hoffman and Hoffman make very good batiks and have fair labor laws and do not promote child labor or endangerment. Believe it or not, if you buy cheap batiks you are supporting children and /or women that sometimes are even caged for their labor. Our department of labor is working on this, in the 15 or so countries that make batiks. But as they told me, in response to a letter I wrote to the Secretary of Labor...the power only lies in the people who buy the product in the end. As for me, I only buy from the companies that I know. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cimarron
    I got an email of the MOST batiks I've ever seen from "Seawatch." One thing I do NOT need is more fabric...but since everyone here is discussing batiks seemed like I should tell you what I got in 'the mail.' I've know nothing whatsoever about the company, never ordered from them in my life. I don't even know how they knew my email address...but they certainly have a load of batiks, all I know.
    FYI - Seawatch is great! I have ordered a couple of times and they are very quick, quality is fantastic and the prices are lower every day, not just for a sale, but they do have sales too. Shipping is free for orders over $30. They also have Asian prints. Maybe they got your email from a shop hop or somewhere else you subscribe to.

Well, no one mentioned this so I'll hop in. I love batiks, they're beautiful and make a unique looking quilt!
    I haven't used it extensivly enough to say much but the problem I had with it is since it is so tightly woven there is no stretch to it when easing in. I make lone star quilts and have combined regular with batik (for just the "right" color) and with a strip of up to nine colors matching up to another strip of up to nine colors there WILL be a little easing here and there.
    Batiks don't ease well and leave little ruffles.
    Run by on a galloping horse though..no biggy.

Thanks so much for the recommendation for Seawatch! There's such a wealth of info on this message board and I'm getting the hang of it. I'm bringing my quilt to the quilt store tomorrow for advice. This SITD is making me a wreck. I've ripped out more than I want to think about.
    Thanks again...viva batiks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4