Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: batik question

If it looks the same use either side.

To tell the back side of any fabric just rub both sides with your fingers at the same time----the rough side is the back. Try it---
    Good luck, Kutnso

Yes, on some batiks it does matter. I had one batik that was very obvious that it had a right side and a wrong side. If you can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter because others won't know the difference either.

Blog Entries
    Most of the time one side will look more richer in color. You do have to look close at it but no one can really tell since both sides are so similar.

I was just concerned that one side might wear differently than the other.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inemmausinn
    I can't tell the front from the back. Does it matter?
    That's the beauty of Batik fabric.........there is no front and back........both sides are he same.....

There is no right or wrong side to batiks. We have a lot of ladies taking quilting classes at the store I work in, they have only worked with batiks. Then, when they work with regular cottons, I keep hearing them whisper to themselves, right sides together, right sides together. ha ha, they have only ever worked with batiks, and there is no right or wrong sides. But I have noticed that one side is slightly brighter than the other. Even the ready made, pre-packaged, Bali pops, are hand cut, and most of the ones I have used have at least 5 or 6 crooked cuts per package. Greetings from Aunti B, Saskatchewan, Canada.

i use the side i think looks the best on any fabric!!

OMG this struck me so funny!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    no, it does not matter---with any fabric. i pay for both sides and use both sides. with batik's use the side you like best. if you get up close and personal to a 'water-color' quilt you will find the people who make those type quilts use the back of some fabrics because they want a more muted print. (i don't believe in a wrong-side)it's ok to use your fabric any way it works for you and every fabric i have has 2 sides...both are right sides

Aren't they great!

I can tell the front from the back, especially if you examine the areas that have speckles or the edges of the watermarks. One side is always sharper than the other, but by a little bit. I'll use whichever side I need - the back for "softer" or the front for "sharper." Please don't stress about it! As my mother would say, "Those people who WOULD notice - would you want them in your home or not?" (Makes me laugh every time!)

That's the whole point. Good batiks are virtually the same on both sides so you don't to sweat it!

choose the side you like best and be consistent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2