Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik treatments? >

Batik treatments?

Batik treatments?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Default Batik treatments?

I recently aquired a batch of batik fabrics from someone cleaning out a stash. I've only used a few batiks once in a bargello where everything was blue - green, so have little experience working with them. I want to use a couple of them in charity baby blankets I'm making which will be largely white so I am nervous about color bleed. Given that I have no info about the origin of these fabrics (home dyed, store bought?) what should I do to ensure that the colors are set before I cut & use them? Is just a pre-wash enough with batiks? Thanks everyone! Shannon
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I would pre wash with like colors. You can also just immerse them individually in a basin of very warm water and see if any bleed. If you really want to make sure you can treat them with Retayne.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

pre-wash- and toss in a color catcher- or a piece of white fabric- if it comes out with color- rewash- until no more bleeding-
you can use retayne- follow the instructions on the bottle -to help set the dye if you have a bleeder.
you can use synthrapol to keep any fugitive dyes from getting on other fabrics---it keeps the dye in the water instead of on other fabrics- again you must follow the instructions-
but the easiest way is to wash them until they do not bleed-you need to at least test them for color-fastness- but most charities require the quilts to be washed before sending them - always check with your chosen charity before sending in any quilts to make sure they will be accepted- and their requirements.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM

I followed the method above. Washed like colors with 1/2 a color catcher ( in a mesh bag ) thrown in to test for color fastness and used Retayne as listed on bottle in straight hot water. I kept rewashing with Retayne and a fresh color catcher each time until the color catcher came out white or nearly white. Some groups took 3-4 washings. I did not dry in between. Hope you enjoy them.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM

I wonder if we could use retayne on my hair when I color it? As for batiks just get them wet in the sink and the ones that bleed set aside and use the retayne on them. That is what I do and it works really well for me. And when you wash the quilt use a color catcher or two. Just to be safe.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Is it yardage or precuts? Precuts are best washed in a mesh bag or something similar to prevent fraying. Retayne sets the dye but needs hot wash water. Definately pre-wash to see if you have any bleeders and separate into lights and darks for different loads too. I quick pre-test is to rub a damp white paper towel or cloth on the fabric and see if there is any colour transfer onto the towel/cloth.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM

I would wash them individually with Retayne to stop any color runs that my happen. I love batics and use them oftem but I do prewash everything!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Maybe I'm the dummy, but. I've always treated batiks the same way as all other fabrics. Pre-wash with like colors and dry. Fortunately have never had an issue. Then again, it's always been yardage and LQS quality fabrics. But I'd definitely pre wash, even pre-cuts with those since you have no clue as to origin.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Maybe it depends on where the batiks come from. I've used some like it was any other fabric and had no problems. But recently I was given a gorgeous set of coordinating blues in 6" squares (two of each), origin unknown. I decided to soak them, and a few bled and one twinset in particular oozed color, even after a couple of soakings. I was glad I decided to check them for color fastness.

I just had a hunch about those, but like I said, I've used others without washing with no problems. Guess I'm not much help!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 AM

For some batik fat quarters I got at my LQS, I washed them by hand in the kitchen sink. One particular piece was washed/rinsed 21 times before it left the water clear. I was certainly glad I chose (1) to pre-wash (2) wash it in the sink where I could see the dye coming off the fabric. It was good batik, just way too much dye! I always pre-wash my material just to get the chemicals from the warehouse out of the fabric as it bothers my asthma.