Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batiks 100% when used? >

batiks 100% when used?

batiks 100% when used?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM

I mix any prewashed fabrics. I want them to have all their shrinkage out of their system. I am making an all batik quilt right now and I know at least two of the fabrics aren't batiks, but they look like it and that's good enough for me. Color is more important than 'type' to me.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM

I'm working on a quilt right now with batiks mixed with regular fabric and solids. You're the quilt artist. So whatever looks good together!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM

I love batiks with prints, geometrics, stripes, even solids!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Your quilt. Your rules. Period. I have trouble finding enough lighter colored batiks to go with the beautiful darker colored batiks. So, I've put those in a quilt. Solids, mottled prints, stuff like that works well with batiks.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 AM

For one of the classes I took, I used a jelly roll of batiks [really liked the colors]. I was working away madly when I realized that I would not have enough fabric to complete the top. My instructor reached into her grab bag and found me a stack of fabric with colors which would blend with those I had. They were not batiks, but they went together so well I combined the two different fabric groups. The ladies in the class were amazed with what I had created. That quilt went to a friend who is getting married next week. She cried tears of happiness when she opened the package it was in. She certainly didn't notice that I had combined fabric.

It's your quilt: do what makes you happy.

Bill
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 AM

A lot of times a blender will add much needed interest to a batik quilt. Be adventurous. Try it....you might like it.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM

check out Edita Sityer's work.She throws together whatever she wants and her work is stunning.Get rid of all the rules.Who made them anyway?I don't think I spelled her name right,but that's close.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 AM

There is no hard and fast rules about going this way with your fabrics, like LoriS says, be sure to prewash batiks. I have a very pretty pair of panties that used to be white and somehow ended up in a load with some red batik pieces. No great shakes because they won't be seen, but you don't want them to fade onto your bed or other clothes.. Have fun, make it pretty and enjoy the process
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM

It's ok to use other fabrics with batiks. It's your quilt, do it the way you want!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM

I do it all the time, love batiks and throw in a few solids that compliment the colors of the batiks. When I first starting quilting, back when we had a fire in the cave; I didn't like batiks. Then a friend pointed out all the beautiful designs formed and I fell in love with them. So when blended with solids they come alive, go ahead and mix them; there are no rules.