Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Batiks - Connecting Threads

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marla
    I wait for sales a the LQS or Hancock Paducah. I tred Conn Threads and waqs disappointed in the quality. Youcan see through the fabric. Thread count must be low.
    I have a fabric thread counter. CT fabric is right up there with Moda and many others. I take the thread counter to most all fabric shops. Some quilt shops won't let me check the thread count and that is when I suspect the fabric isn't quilt shop quality for quilt shop price.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have bought batiks and am currently using them to do a Baltimore Album BOM from this board. I like them very much. They don't feel all "waxy" like some. Nice clear colors without any "muddiness" (is that a word??). Here's the center of my quilt I'm working on. These are all Connecting Threads fabrics except for the little gold centers of the flowers and the vase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have purchased many of the batiks from CT. They're very soft. They wash beautifully. I love them.

Cynthia

Well, I do not know why but their batiks do NOT have a good hand, if you know what I mean. I haven't appliqued with them. Guess I could if I use lots of starch to prevent raveling. Usually batiks don't ravel or fray, the reason I use them in applique.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Quote Originally Posted by marla
    I wait for sales a the LQS or Hancock Paducah. I tred Conn Threads and waqs disappointed in the quality. Youcan see through the fabric. Thread count must be low.
    I have a fabric thread counter. CT fabric is right up there with Moda and many others. I take the thread counter to most all fabric shops. Some quilt shops won't let me check the thread count and that is when I suspect the fabric isn't quilt shop quality for quilt shop price.

Blog Entries
    I've only bought a couple of layer cakes from them. I find they feel a little thin. But I'll be using them for applique so it's not an issue for me.

i have ordered for connecting threads and i and very pleased .i like there batiks. just placed a new order afew days ago.

Blog Entries
    Hi OmaForFour
    I just bought some Batik from the link below and they should arrive next week because i am in Australia i have to allow a few days for postage. I am new at this so hopefully the fabric will be ok :)
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SubC...-Fabrics--m-13

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Do you buy your 1895 Hoffman batiks online? Do you have an address, either for LQS or online?

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i prefer the quality of Hoffman 1895 over the batiks from Connecting Threads and you can get them for $1 less at Thousands of Bolts ($5.95 compared to $6.96).

Blog Entries
    Fancy
    I agree I love Hoffman Batiks.

I have purchased fabric from Connecting Threads. The old saying is, "You get what you pay for." I don't purchase CT fabric any more since it is not as nice as quilt store quality fabric.

I just bought eight different yards of the sale batiks from Connecting Threads. They are GORGEOUS!. The fabrics have a silky feel and the colors are beautiful. I think I paid $5.85 a yard or something similar. I needed an additional yard in a complimentary blue color. I found what I wanted at JoAnn for $12.99 a yard!....even with a 50% coupon, it cost $6.50/yd....enough said..... I will be checking CT first from now on for batiks. I also check out Fabric.com because they do have some good sales Cheers! M.E.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i prefer the quality of Hoffman 1895 over the batiks from Connecting Threads and you can get them for $1 less at Thousands of Bolts ($5.95 compared to $6.96).
    Thanks so much for sharing this info! Just when I got PayPal paid in full, you go and tell me their are Batiks online for half the price they are at local shops (literally $12.00/yard); not sure if they are Hoffman or Island, but who cares? I just bought 17 yds!!!! Like I needed 'em....RIGHT!?!?!?!

Josi in FL

Blog Entries
    I just love this board it makes me feel very comfortable with my spending as many of you ladies are just like me when it comes to quilting and buying fabric i thought i was getting carried away with purchasing fabric. It's like a disease !!! :) I just love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angelheartiowa
    I have purchased fabric from Connecting Threads. The old saying is, "You get what you pay for." I don't purchase CT fabric any more since it is not as nice as quilt store quality fabric.
    Years ago I wasn't a fan of CT fabrics but never had any complaints about the quality. One quilt I made from a CT kit back in the 90's is holding up excellent and it's a drag around quilt used all over the house. I have found it outside dirty and wet many times, toss in the washer and dryer, it does have stains but not even the binding has frayed.

There are two types of quilters: Real quilters and project makers/kit makers. Project makers/kit makers go out and buy a kit with pattern and fabric selected for them, or purchase enough fabric to make a specific quilt and make it to completion. They develop little, if any, stash for scrappy quilts. Then there are real quilters. Real quilters may actually purchase a kit upon occasion or the fabric for one particular quilt and may actually finish projects. However, real quilters buy fabric, patterns, books and magazines to add to their stash and ***plan*** on using every one of them some day. Somewhere along the way, some quilts actually do get finished. However, acquisition of stash is one of the most important quests of a real quilter. You are clearly a real quilter on well on your way to becoming one!

Quote Originally Posted by capucine
    I just love this board it makes me feel very comfortable with my spending as many of you ladies are just like me when it comes to quilting and buying fabric i thought i was getting carried away with purchasing fabric. It's like a disease !!! :) I just love it.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :D :-D

Years ago, Connecting Threads sold regular quilt store quality fabric, the same name brands as the quilt stores. They sold them at a pretty good price. However, a few years ago (2 or 3??), they began having their own fabric lines. They sell it at a far lower price than the quilt store quality fabric. When I ordered their own label fabric, AT FIRST, I thought is was wonderful and it felt so nice. Then I prewashed it. The nice feel disappeared right away. It did not have the fine texture and tight weave that a quilt store quality fabric has.

The fabric you bought from Connecting Threads in the 1990s was not the Connecting Threads fabric, the fabric you purchased back then was quilt store quality fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Quote Originally Posted by angelheartiowa
    Years ago I wasn't a fan of CT fabrics but never had any complaints about the quality. One quilt I made from a CT kit back in the 90's is holding up excellent and it's a drag around quilt used all over the house. I have found it outside dirty and wet many times, toss in the washer and dryer, it does have stains but not even the binding has frayed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2