Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for baby quilts? >

Batting for baby quilts?

Batting for baby quilts?

Old 10-26-2019, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
I found this really interesting article when I was doing some research for a Quilt of Valour I am working on. It made me really step back and think. I always thought polyester would be great for kids, since it's so washable. This article has me thinking twice about even using 80/20 on my Quilt of Valour.

https://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/pdfs/batting_article.pdf
I absolutely appreciate the information provided by this article. I also wonder about the impact of the fire retardant chemicals on those who are using the quilt. I would not want to use a batting that could slowly expose a dear grandchild, or anyone else for that matter, with an environmental carcinogen, or a chemical that could cause breathing problems or skin irritations. I would lean to using fabrics that are 100% cotton or a natural substance to err on that side of this question.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:22 AM

I only use Warm and Natural for my Project Linus Quilts. Knowing that polyester can burn and melt, I haven't used it in over 40 years.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:20 AM

I know its a matter of personal choice, but I really love Warm and Plush batting. This is a denser batting and its really cuddly. I have a roll of the Warm and Plush and a roll of the Warm and Natural... whenever I go to the Warm and Natural I really miss the Warm and Plush. I just love the feel of that batting

https://smile.amazon.com/COMPANY-266...s%2C658&sr=8-3
Old 10-26-2019, 06:57 AM

I'm a dyed in the wool, wool user. I make all my quilts for specific people and know if they are allergic or not. I have never had a complaint.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Interesting discussion especially since I'm now working on a quilt for 5 yr old grandson and I'm using my favorite poly batting. This article tests batting alone. But I"m putting that batting between 2 layers of cotton. How does that factor into this? then, a lot of us are now looking at fleece and minky for backing. Isn't that poly? What's the burn factor on it? Think of all those nice tied fleece blankets that we swoon over--are they safe?
I know accidents happen but it all goes back to my belief that we can't overlook the human factor that we've got to use diligence around anything. Whether it's polyester batting or the cribs with "wide" slats, we've got to be watchful and aware of risks that we take every day. Are we still using candles in the home? Risk factor! All requires good common sense.
But again back to my question at the first. What is the risk of putting poly batting between 2 layers of cotton fabric?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-26-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Interesting discussion especially since I'm now working on a quilt for 5 yr old grandson and I'm using my favorite poly batting. This article tests batting alone. But I"m putting that batting between 2 layers of cotton. How does that factor into this? AND then, a lot of us are now looking at fleece and minky for backing. Isn't that poly? What's the burn factor on it? Think of all those nice tied fleece blankets that we swoon over--are they safe?
I know accidents happen but it all goes back to my belief that we can't overlook the human factor that we've got to use diligence around anything. Whether it's polyester batting or the cribs with "wide" slats, we've got to be watchful and aware of risks that we take every day. Are we still using candles in the home? Risk factor! All requires good common sense.
But again back to my question at the first. What is the risk of putting poly batting between 2 layers of cotton fabric?
You could make a 6-inch square "quilt" - and set it on fire.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:29 AM

I have to agree with Illinois - I have used poly batting for at least 30 years now and so far no one has burned to death or suffered a burn of any kind from my quilts. Cotton burns easily. Everyone needs to be careful. I am very partial to wool now - but that is because it has been processes to where it is machine washable and dryable.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

Warm and Natural has a polyester scrim - so it is not 100% cotton. One of those "read the fine print" things.

I purchased a roll of Warm and Natural many years ago - and when I soaked it (in hot water - gasp!!), it turned the water very yellow. It may be different now. Anyway, I would hesitate to use that on/in something that was very white.

The Warm and Natural survived the soaking very well - in fact, I had one piece I had to wash twice - one of my cats "anointed" it - and it turned out fine.

However, I do not agitate the stuff - only soak, rinse, spin - and then dry it on "medium" until "dry" - but not "cooked"
Old 10-27-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
I found this really interesting article when I was doing some research for a Quilt of Valour I am working on. It made me really step back and think. I always thought polyester would be great for kids, since it's so washable. This article has me thinking twice about even using 80/20 on my Quilt of Valour.

https://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/pdfs/batting_article.pdf
What a great article. I used 80/20 for my granddaughter because I expected it to hold up under multiple washings. A new grandbaby on the way in January and deffinately switching to wool. I use wool a lot for other quilts. I will be using it for my grandchildren going forward!!!

Thanks Tish05!
Old 10-28-2019, 08:19 AM

If I'm using Minkee on the back, I use a layer of prewashed white cotton flannel instead of a regular batting. The Minkee itself is quite warm.