Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting - A different question >

Batting - A different question

Batting - A different question

Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM

I am just wondering if all batting comes irregularly cut.
I am handicapped and cannot stand beside a cutting table to even out the edges of the batting, and cannot get down on the floor to do it either.
The batting that I have purchased in the past has always been cut with very curvy edges and makes it very difficult for me to even it out. I can't tell you the pain it causes for me to try and stand to do this task.
I like to use 100% cotton batting and hope there's a brand that is evenly cut.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM

I have never even thought of this, but I only use Quilters Dream and have never had any problem with wavy edges or irregularly cut. It is an excellent quality batting.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM

I always leave extra batting around the edge as well as backing, so it has never been a problem for me. I usually leave any where from 2-4 inches on all sides and then when I am done I trim it all off even with the top. I use the smaller pieces that I cut off for other small craft projects!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 PM

If you purchase your batting in the pre-cut packages (vs. by the yard) your curved edges may be because of the way the batting was packaged in the plastic bag. Try opening the packages and unfolding the batting the night before you want to cut it and see if that makes any difference..."they" say that all batting should be treated this way in order to let it relax into its normal shape.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Warm and Natural or warm and white is very neatly cut, as are Quilters Dream. Moutain Mist and Hobbs are not very neatly edged. These are what comes to mind for me at the moment.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions for handling the batting and for suggesting certain brands. I so appreciate your help, everyone.
Quilting for me not only involves learning techniques, but also how I can actually physically accomplish it. It means also that in order to do this wonderful craft, I have to do strength and aerobic exercises in order become and stay strong enough to do what I have come to love doing - quilting!
I love this forum and love to see what you all accomplish. Such beautiful quilts and such happy helpful people.
The secret is never give up. Always be inspired by what others do, and know that no matter what, if there is a will there is a way.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM

I think it is cut straight but gets distorted when rolled and packaged.... :D
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I think the same... especially with the Hobbs batting. It's rolled and pressed in the package. But because I like to work with it (80/20) I take a batting that is at least a little longer and wider than my finished quilt.
Quilters Dream, Legacy, Tuscany and some others are just folded and put in the package without so much pressure and in my experience the edges are nicely cut.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 AM

Some battings work really well, and straighten out, if you unfold them and place in a warm dryer for just a few minutes. You might even place a damp dish towel in there with them. It will get rid of the wrinkles and puff the batting up a bit. I don't know if it helps the edges, but it's worth a try - since it helps everything else :)

Hope this helps!
Debbie in Austin
Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Originally Posted by Ditter43
I think the same... especially with the Hobbs batting. It's rolled and pressed in the package. But because I like to work with it (80/20) I take a batting that is at least a little longer and wider than my finished quilt.
Quilters Dream, Legacy, Tuscany and some others are just folded and put in the package without so much pressure and in my experience the edges are nicely cut.
I had the luxury of experiencing the Tuscany Collection batting - it was perfect! Pricey, but perfect. Had no difficulty in hand quilting it, either.

I am with the others about the packaging of batts. I think the batting gets stretched when rolled, but has no memory and will not go b ack once stretched out of shape. If you've ever notices the waves on the outermost side of a rolled batting - nothing will fix that - it's hopelessly stretched. I have a batt that has been on the guest room bed for the whole summer - still looks like the Atlantic ocean during a hurricane! Pellon has a new batting out that is sold at our WalMart. It's very similar to Warm & Natural, but less expensive. Am going to try it on next machine project. Ordered some Thermore from Connecting Threads and will be interested to see what it's like when it gets here. I'll let you all know.

Kathy