Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Quarter Quilt?

I have been wanting to make a black and white quilt for awhile now so I have been collecting fat quarters. Well now I have a ton. Black on black, white on white, black with white, white with black. You name it. Now I need a pattern. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions. I have looked at some and they all seem to waste so much of the fat quarter. And I want to add another color to it as well but I haven't decided if I should get a bunch of different fat quarters in that color (when I finally decide) or if I should just buy some yardage. Other than Red, which is definitely an option, what other color looks great? Thank you all for the help yet again.

Blog Entries
    Yellow Brick Road has very little waste. In fact it's so little waste I had to use extra fat quarters because mine were prewashed and had shrunk out of shape. It's really easy and fun to make.

I like Take 5 as a pattern and I also have a Carpenters' Star that goes together quick!
    K

How about teal, aqua, yellow, orange, purple or bright blue. I have a pattern using the B & W pieces you describe, and around the edges are colorful appliqued shapes. Mine are patterns for kids, but you could do cats, dogs, turtles, stars and moons, anything you like. Does this give you any ideas? Or maybe an occasional colored block scattered throughout the quilt.

Lime green zings with the black and white if you are looking for something other than red.

Any of the "brights" look good - hot pink, turquoise.

Blog Entries
    I am making a courthouse steps pattern that uses 20 dark fat quarters, 20 light fat quarters and 8 (I am using red) other fat quarters. This worked out perfectly for my overwhelming collection of blacks on white (lights) and whites on black (darks). I did add a couple of more solid appearing FQs. Just a thought.

My fav is Turning Twenty Again. It uses almost all of the fat quarter. You can put just about any bright clear color with b & w. lime, yellow, red, orange

There is a pattern called 'Short Stacks' which uses 14 fat quarters with no waste at all. I loved making it. I do not have the pattern any longer - it's been given to a new quilter.
    Hopefully someone will be able to provide a link as to how to buy the pattern.

Thank you thank you. I'm off to search for some patterns now :)

Blog Entries
    I just got Eleanor Burns' Quick Trip Quilts book. They're all done with fat quarters. I've got three on my To Do list. Now I may have to add a black & white. :)

I like Lucky Stars, but haven't made it yet, so not sure how much waste there is.

I have to agree with aqua or teal. I have also been collecting black and white for a "someday" quilt. BTW I'll be watching this thread for pattern suggestions. Anyway, back to the point, one day I was buying some black and white and also a piece of the Blank Quilting Inspiration series, which is teal. It looked great together, but I had no intention of actually putting them together. As I was paying, the cashier went on and on about how great my fabrics were and asking what I was going to make. Just take a few colors (it doesn't even have to be fabric) and lay them beside your blacks & whites and see what you like. Any bright color will look good. Red, Tangerine, Lilac, Yellow, Sky Blue, Fuchsia, Emerald...

Be sure to post a pic.

Darren

I'm making a D9P in black and white with jewel colors in the center of each block - aqua, turquoise, purple, yellow, raspberry and royal blue.

Teal and yellow and certain greens would be good. I have a book called Fat Quarter Fun that has lots of fun patterns in it and nice cutting diagrams- and one of them is shone in black and whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    Lime green zings with the black and white if you are looking for something other than red.

Any of the "brights" look good - hot pink, turquoise.
    I'll ditto the lime green. I'm dying to make a B&W quilt as well and have just begun my collection of B&W FQs. :) I think whenever I finally get around to making it, I shall use the lime green.

How cool is this? I just bought a bunch of FQ in Black and white and was going to ask the same question!

I typed into search, "black and white". Many many ideas there to inspire.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I'm making a D9P in black and white with jewel colors in the center of each block - aqua, turquoise, purple, yellow, raspberry and royal blue.
    This is my favorite pattern. And I really like your color choices. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Melody :D

Quote Originally Posted by magpiefeather
    I typed into search, "black and white". Many many ideas there to inspire.
    Oh my goodness, I searched after seeing your suggestion. I think I'm in love! So many gorgeous patterns and fabrics...*sigh* I can't wait 'til Christmas is over (okay, not really) and I can start on a B&W quilt for meeee. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by magpiefeather
    How cool is this? I just bought a bunch of FQ in Black and white and was going to ask the same question!
    Sounds like great minds think alike :) Oh my oh my. There are so many choices to choose from. I saw so many beautiful ones with so many different color schemes. So many decisions.

Thank you everyone else for all of the tips and suggestions. All of the ideas sound great. So many to choose from.

I thought about doing a black and white quilt using the LQS BOM? Our LQS gives you a piece of the fabric for that month for example Sept was orange. Then you'd use your black and whites for the rest of the block when your done it would have various colors among the black and whites just little bursts of color. When your done you have 12 blocks (you could chose to make 2 of each for a larger quilt).

Fat Quarter Fashionista is a fun pattern for Fat Quarters. It is written by Julie Geiger at Prairie Point Junction.

I want to do a black and white quilt (with a spot of red). Does anyone have a picture of a black/white quilt that they could post for me. I would like to do a carpenter's square and badly need ideas of color placement. Thanks all

alimaui
    http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...-patterns.html

This blogger makes most of her patterns based on FQ. Her New Wave Quilt would look fantastic with brightly colored sashing in between the black and white!

Check out "Fat Quarter Quilts" by M'Liss Rae Hawley. I checked it out at the library & liked it so much I bought it off Amazon. Picked up 20 FQ at Wally World while we were traveling the last 2 weeks. Can't wait to get started

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast