Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fat Quarter Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarter-quilt-t63801.html)

LovinMySoldier 09-08-2010 11:01 PM

I have been wanting to make a black and white quilt for awhile now so I have been collecting fat quarters. Well now I have a ton. Black on black, white on white, black with white, white with black. You name it. Now I need a pattern. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions. I have looked at some and they all seem to waste so much of the fat quarter. And I want to add another color to it as well but I haven't decided if I should get a bunch of different fat quarters in that color (when I finally decide) or if I should just buy some yardage. Other than Red, which is definitely an option, what other color looks great? Thank you all for the help yet again.

gale 09-08-2010 11:05 PM

Yellow Brick Road has very little waste. In fact it's so little waste I had to use extra fat quarters because mine were prewashed and had shrunk out of shape. It's really easy and fun to make.

ScubaK 09-08-2010 11:22 PM

I like Take 5 as a pattern and I also have a Carpenters' Star that goes together quick!
K

wolfkitty 09-08-2010 11:27 PM

How about teal, aqua, yellow, orange, purple or bright blue. I have a pattern using the B & W pieces you describe, and around the edges are colorful appliqued shapes. Mine are patterns for kids, but you could do cats, dogs, turtles, stars and moons, anything you like. Does this give you any ideas? Or maybe an occasional colored block scattered throughout the quilt.

Deecee 09-08-2010 11:29 PM

Lime green zings with the black and white if you are looking for something other than red.

Any of the "brights" look good - hot pink, turquoise.

scowlkat 09-09-2010 01:01 AM

I am making a courthouse steps pattern that uses 20 dark fat quarters, 20 light fat quarters and 8 (I am using red) other fat quarters. This worked out perfectly for my overwhelming collection of blacks on white (lights) and whites on black (darks). I did add a couple of more solid appearing FQs. Just a thought.

quilterken 09-09-2010 02:04 AM

My fav is Turning Twenty Again. It uses almost all of the fat quarter. You can put just about any bright clear color with b & w. lime, yellow, red, orange

JenniePenny 09-09-2010 03:31 AM

There is a pattern called 'Short Stacks' which uses 14 fat quarters with no waste at all. I loved making it. I do not have the pattern any longer - it's been given to a new quilter.
Hopefully someone will be able to provide a link as to how to buy the pattern.

LovinMySoldier 09-09-2010 07:43 AM

Thank you thank you. I'm off to search for some patterns now :)

quiltsRfun 09-09-2010 10:22 AM

I just got Eleanor Burns' Quick Trip Quilts book. They're all done with fat quarters. I've got three on my To Do list. Now I may have to add a black & white. :)