Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Quarter Quilt?

Here's one that my guild made for a fundraiser
    Attached Images Attached Images

community benefactor
    With regards to quilterken's suggestion for the Turning Twenty patterns --- my LQS did a black and white sample with just a little red from the TT - Totally Sashed book. It was really a nice quilt.
    Susan

Black, white, and yellow is my favorite.

I did a Turning Twenty with Black/Whites. It came out lovely.

Teacher pet is also a fast and easy pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I am making a courthouse steps pattern that uses 20 dark fat quarters, 20 light fat quarters and 8 (I am using red) other fat quarters. This worked out perfectly for my overwhelming collection of blacks on white (lights) and whites on black (darks). I did add a couple of more solid appearing FQs. Just a thought.
    That sounds great!

dls
    Two friends made very nice black and white quilts from a sampler pattern . I believe it was from Quilt Blocks Galore.
    One added some red to the quilt and it looked very good.

dls
    I forgot to mention in my previous reply that I have made a couple of table runners in b&w in a zigzag that I really like.

I had a lot of black and white fat quarters. I have a quilt top made - all with double triangle square (I think that's what it's called). Everyone loves the black and white together. I did not use a third color.

There is a free pattern called "Wickedly Easy Quilt." The directions include baby, lap, twin and queen instructions. It is written for use with fat quarters and there is very little waste.

http://www.byannie.com/free-patterns/

I have black and white fabric collected and I'm going to make a 15x15 crazy patch block with a cranberry center my friend made one and it's gorgeous

There is a booklet called "Turning Twenty" that makes up lovely with fat quarters. It takes 20, of course. It is easy to make. It would showcase your beautiful black and white fabrics. I had a class from Pepper Cory who was making a black and white quilt and she used some purple, teal, and red in it. Very pretty.

Don't you love those Turning Twenty quilts!! I have made only one but have plans for another.

Hooray for Yellow Brick Road! It's fun and very beginner friendly. Have a good time!

I made a b/w after wanting to for years - I did it with a variety of 20 different star blocks - tried to be sure to use each fabric three times and it was so much fun - putting it together was the problem as I wanted to connect with sashing that didn't shout - finally found a tiny circle print of black on white and it was perfect. Since then I saw another done all in B/w but the quilter appliqued huge preprinted poppies in a few places - Good luck!

I forgot to mention - I have done the Turning Twenty but I was nowhere near as happy with it as I was with the Turning Twenty Again and the Yellow Brick Road tops.

I am wanting to do a b/w quilt and thought of using the Carpenter Square. I also wanted to add a color, red. I gave thought to placing a sash the length of the quilt or perhaps the width. What do you think? Could anyone help me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quilterken
    My fav is Turning Twenty Again. It uses almost all of the fat quarter. You can put just about any bright clear color with b & w. lime, yellow, red, orange
    I just completed Romantic Cottage from #5 Turning 20 book. Not much wasted fabric. This is the second Turning 20 I have made. they are relatively easy and very pretty. My last one used about 30 fat 1/4s. It is 106 X 106. I think the first book all used 20 fats.

I just finish my third black and white quilt, I chose the pattern dancing with the stars pattern, if you don't have it I can send the pattern to you odello

I just finished a yellow brick road in black & white and love it. I put a 2 inch border of bright red around it, followed by a plain, wider black border. I've gotten complements on it. Good luck.

http://www.byannie.com/media/images/...s_patterns.pdf
    The Wickedly Easy quilt would look great with black and white and another bright color.

someone posted a pattern that comes to my mind, I think it was like Stack N Slice, using FQ. I was pretty and looked easy.

what about twisted spool? that would allow for 2 prints and white on white. then you could put a border of a color then border of black or black and white.
    i made it recently using colors and got four spools from each set of coordinating fat quarters.

My plan someday is to make a drunkard's path in black and white. I have been looking at different configurations but haven't decided which one. Everything goes with black but I like the cripness of black and white together.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    I have been wanting to make a black and white quilt for awhile now so I have been collecting fat quarters. Well now I have a ton. Black on black, white on white, black with white, white with black. You name it. Now I need a pattern. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions. I have looked at some and they all seem to waste so much of the fat quarter. And I want to add another color to it as well but I haven't decided if I should get a bunch of different fat quarters in that color (when I finally decide) or if I should just buy some yardage. Other than Red, which is definitely an option, what other color looks great? Thank you all for the help yet again.
    This book is All Fat quarters with no waste! I won't give mine up, but here is a link for one on ebay. Hope you post your result.

www.amazon.com/Fat-Quarter-Fun-Karen-Snyder/dp/0896895378 - Cached

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast