Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting question >

Batting question

Batting question

Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM

We live in the NE US. It gets really cold and really hot. All year long I use a top sheet, a thin 100% cotton blanket and 100% cotton quilt-mass produced as I don't want my dogs digging through something I've spent that much time making! Since I'm in my mid 50's I sometimes have to toss aside 1 layer for part or all of the night - or put it back. But it works year round. 100% cotton breathes. I don't think it will be too hot for you. As to the king W&N you bought - have you laid it out on top of your bed? Does it currently have enough drop for you? If you're worried about shrinkage - prewash the batting and lay out on the bed again that way you see exactly what you end up with. If it's not large enough, but a couple of extra yds of W&N and piece the batting. If you are going to do that I would suggest slicing down the middle and add whatever extra inches you need for the drop you want into the center. Again, make sure you pre-wash your pieced batting if this is what you decide to do. You won't get as much of a crinkly look with prewashed batting but maybe a tad. If you like the crinkly look, again check your current batting size compared to your bed and add a bit more for piecing. I think W&N has a 2-3% shrinkage rate - should say on the packaging or their website.